Is OMV OK for my purpose?

• I have a P4 3 GHz 2 GB RAM system that has not been used much and I would like to use it as a NAS (not 24/7 and with no particular performance need ) mainly as a backup that can easily be accessed from PC's, smartphones and tablets connected to the LAN, my only real concern is about the storage for the OS itself: it needs a dedicated drive, and I saw on the Internet that a flash drive can get burned really easily and that's not really a nice scenario, what's the best (or rather cheapest) alternative that would work fine?
    Or maybe it's not even worth it to use OMV with that setup or maybe it isn't even suitable as a NAS, you know better.

• Many systems are suitable for OMV. Many people, including me, have it running on a raspberry pi, banana pi, or similar.
    So why shouldn't your system be suitable. You can do with OMV all the things you mentioned.
    And regarding the OS, it doesn't need a dedicated drive! It only needs a dedicated partition.
    You could use it even with only one HDD for OS and Data, just split the HDD into two partitions. The OS partition for OMV does not need much space, 10GB is more than enough!

OMV 5.x | Banana PI (M1) | Seafile Server
    OMV 4.x | ShuttlePC SH55J2

• Offizieller Beitrag

That system would work but would not be very power efficient. You can use a flash drive but install the flashmemory plugin. OMV uses the entire drive that you install it on but you can resize it and create another partition to use for data.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!