Problems getting shares to work with OMV

• Hello i'm new here, and i've been at this for a few days now and i can't figure out what the problem could be.

I was looking to replace my ancient Freenas system that died so i got the following hardware :

Asrock IMB-150 : http://www.asrock.nl/ipc/overview.asp?Model=IMB-150
    8GB DDR3 1333 (2x 4GB)
    8GB USB 2.0 Kingston
    1TB Samsung HDD Sata (2 x 4TB are coming tomorrow and i just wanted to test this with a disk i had laying around).

I installed the latest 3.02 OMV from a USB drive to another USB drive (mentioned above) the installation went fine but it did take longer then i expected.

Opened my browser and went to the GUI (192.168.178.30) and logged on.

Wiped the 1TB disk and made it EXT4 and mounted it.
    Went to 'shared folders' and created a few folders for my needs (Public, Share, Movies).
    Created a user and added permissions for reading/writing to the mentioned folders.

Then i expected to be able to see OMV in my network environment and here is where my problem starts.
    I cannot see/connect to the OMV system.

Service Discovery
    All enabled.

Under service :
    - FTP Enabled - Running
    - SMB/CIFS Enabled - Running

Hostname :
    - Openmediavault

But for some reason i'm unable to connect to any shares or even see the system in my local network. I can open the WEBGUI. (OPEN ELEC/NAS and Systems are all showing just fine).

When i type \\openmediavault\Share or \\192.168.178.30\Share it won't ask for a login and just give me an error saying 'Windows cannot access etc etc, Error code 0x80004005 unspecified error'.

I got multiple shares that i can access throughout my network so it can't be an issue with my network configuration itself.
    My Raspberry PI 2 is working just fine and is able to connect to all machines and i am able to connect to my RPI2.

• I guess you know 3.0 is in beta and not intended for production use?

To me it seems you just created some shared folders (Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders), but no SMB/CIFS Shares (Services -> SMB/CIFS -> Tab Shares)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Yeah i just went on IRC and they told me to get 2.1 instead and skip 3.0 for now.

Installing atm so i'll see what happens and if it's detectable in network environment.

- Installation went well however after restart i just get a blinking cursor... Restarting everything now...

I took 3.0 due to the hardware i'm using, it's not exactly 'standard' 3.0 installs fine where 2.1 doesn't.

• Yes i did that, i shared them all.

The problem however is that OMV is not showing in my network at all, i should be able to see the host even though i've not made shares.
    Also someone on the IRC channel posted there was a samba fix.

Also FTP isn't working it's as if services aren't running/ports are closed.
    Once i cleaned all disks and formatted everything i'm starting over with 2.1 because last night Grub wasn't able to write to the partition.

Thanks for the fast replies!

• Tell us more about your network.

• Any firewalls in between?
    • Are you opening the web page locally on the omv server or remotly from a client?
    • Can you ssh to the omv server (Do not forget to enable ssh)?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Ok after a completely fresh start.

- Recreated Install USB, deleted partitions/wiped usb drive.
    - Recreated install medium with 3.0!

Started install and finished it.

Wiped the 1TB test drive and mounted it.
    Created filesystem (EXT4).

Added a share (Shared folders). 'Files'.
    Went to user and added a user and set 'read/write' to 'Files'.
    Went to SMB/CIFS and 'Enabled' it.
    Went to the 'Shares' tab and 'added' the share 'Files'.

Typed in //Vault/ and it showed the share in windows.

I have no clue to why this didn't work in the first place, however i'm still not able to see 'Vault' under network in windows for some reason.
    The only difference i can make up is that first i just let the default name 'Openmediavault' be used and now changed it to 'Vault'.

It's nice to see it's using windows auth though.
    Also the speed is nice, 100MB/s + single drive.
    CPU load is about 20% during copy, memory load is about 2-4% (8GB total).

Now waiting for 2 x 4TB to come in and then put the system to use.

• Tell us more about your network. 1. Any firewalls in between?
    2. Are you opening the web page locally on the omv server or remotly from a client?
    3. Can you ssh to the omv server (Do not forget to enable ssh)?

For some reason i could not edit my post.

My network has 2 Vlans,

Managed Switch and POE switch (for 2 x AP) - Port 1 of modem/router.
    Vlan 1 : Port 1-10
    - 2 fileservers W2012/Ubuntu server (Teamspeak 3 and other services)
    - 5 computers (All Windows 10)
    - 3 laptops (All Windows 10)
    - 2 x AP (2.4Ghz/5Ghz)
    - Phones/Tablets (Android)
    - Openmediavault on this Vlan 1.

Vlan 2 : Port 11-16
    - 1 W2012/fileserver/mysql/webhost etc.
    - 2 company computers (Windows 7 embedded).

Modem/Router (4 x Gbit)

Switch on Port 2 (Vlan 1)
    - TV.
    - BR player.
    - RPI2.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!