Two questions about OMV

• Hello all!

Just recently started using openmediavault btw. I am currently using the x86-64 version number 3.0.2. However I have come across one problem and have one question to ask as well.

First of all the problem. I am using openmediavault on a normal x86-64 box which has 2 hard drives, one of which is removable. I can install OMV without any problems but the problem comes if I try to change the removable hard drive (not the other hard drive which has OMV on it!). So if I install OMV with one hard drive already installed then shut down, remove that hard drive, swap it over with another hard drive (both formatted as EXT4) and then power up I find I hit against a problem.

I'm immediately dropped out to a command line because the file system quota failed to start - I have an error message saying -

[FAILED] Failed to start enable file system quotas.

It seems almost as if OMV thinks that the old hard drive is still installed! At this point I can edit /etc/fstab and remove one of the entries that OMV creates - that gets me back into OMV's GUI apon rebooting the machine running OMV but then are lots of problems after this point. For example I can go to filesystems (OMV GUI) and try to mount the new hard drive, but I'm hit with an error about a missing device (presumably the old hard drive as a UUID number is displayed).

What is the correct procedure if a hard drive is changed in OMV? Is there a special command I should run? I tried running omv-firstaid and then "Configure webgui" but that too resulted in an "failed to connect to socket: no such file or directory in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc.inc:135\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-rpc(107): OMVRpc::exec('WebGui','setSettings', Array, Array, 2)\n#1 {main}"

The question I wanted to ask as well btw (hopefully this is easier to answer!) is this - is there a way to somehow pass some sort of command line or message or option to OMV from another machine? I'm planning on using my device running OMV as a backup system but was hoping (to increase security of the system) to by default have OMV mount the hard drive as read-only, but also read-write on request.

For example I use debian jessie on my main system and KDE as well. I can use this - "nfs://192.168.1.5/export/test" in KDE/Dolphin and that will get me into the hard drive in the system running OMV via NFS. I have it set to mount it as read only. But can I somehow - for example - pass something like "nfs://192.168.1.5/export/test,rw" so that I could specify read-write? Not sure if this is possible!

Thanks for any help!

ljones

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install OMV 2.x instead of 3.x (which is beta and not ready). Then report if you have same problems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would put a temporary network card in to install with or install on a different system and move drive back to other system. OMV 3 is definitely not ready yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok will give that a go. Once OMV is installed is there any way to fix the non-detection problem? Could it just be missing something like a firmware (.fw) file in /lib/firmware? To check btw I booted off a live cd so I could find out just exactly what that network device was - lspci lists it as Qualcomm Atheros QCA8171 Gigabit adapter.

ljones

• I managed to give 2.x (2.1) and also 1.14 (linked to above) a go. The results were well .... mixed to say the last. First of all I tried OMV 1.14. The poster above was right - it did indeed after boot detect the on board network. Though for some reason it didn't want to recognise the hard drive I put in the machine quite right -- some sort of issue with partitions - will have to try again on that one.

Also I found that 1.14 didn't quite like my usb wireless stick (I'm not planning on connecting my device to the internet, just once to get updates). For some reason 1.14 saw the USB wireless stick (an old Netgear WG111v2) correctly but insisted on it being an ethernet device(!).

The newer OMV 2.1 did not see the on board network device, but did see the hard drive correctly. It also didn't play up when I changed the hard drive for another one (not the device holding OMV!) -- power down, remove, replace, power up again. I used a USB network card to connect Though for some reason although OMV lists the old hard drive as missing I cannot seem to delete it - the delete button gets grey'd out!

OMV 2.1 did see the USBwifi stick mentioned above correctly (and not as an ethernet device) though it would not connect to the internet. Anything (e.g. command line; ping http://www.google.com) it just sat there and would do nothing until it eventually timed out.

ljones

• Will give that a try (edit: updated system successfully!). Though I seem to have found a much worse problem :( .... slow read/write speeds over ethernet.

Both the ethernet devices in the two machines I'm using are capable of 1000Mps. Running the command "ethtool" gives "Speed: 1000Mb/s" for both devices. Both machines are connected directly to one another; the cable is a brand new (about 1 metre length) cat 6A cable. Write speed was around 45mb/s; read speed just over 100mb/s. Sounds a bit low - not sure why it would be *so* low though - could it just be the hard drive (1TB WD, connected as SATA being the limiting factor?

ljones

• You´ll not get higher than 100 - 110 mb/s. Write spead is indeed a bit low. What hardware do you use?

With this command you can test your write speed:

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    rm /root/testfile
  • You better test the disk speed on the disks you are using as your data disks, nit the root file system.

use

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of= /media/<UID>/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    rm  /media/<UID>/testfile

instead. Take care to enter the correct UID of the disk.

Btw:
    To test read spead use

Code
    dd if= /media/<UID>/testfile of=/dev/null  bs=1G

before deleting the file.

Here is what I get (Software RAID 5, 4x WD Red 3TB):

Code
    root@omv-test:/media/a9b8ed75-2e05-4817-9625-cf0045a4e32c# dd if=/dev/zero of=perftest bs=512M count=200
    200+0 Datensätze ein
    200+0 Datensätze aus
    107374182400 Bytes (107 GB) kopiert, 277,357 s, 387 MB/s
    root@omv-test:/media/a9b8ed75-2e05-4817-9625-cf0045a4e32c# dd if=perftest of=/dev/null bs=512M
    200+0 Datensätze ein
    200+0 Datensätze aus
    107374182400 Bytes (107 GB) kopiert, 376,522 s, 285 MB/s

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Ok I gave those commands a try;

Code
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct
    rm /root/testfile

At best I got 14.0948s/ 76.2MB/s write speed.

As to what hardware I'm using here's a list;

Memory - 16GB (output of 'free' follows);

Code
    total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:      15291884     224372   15067512          0      10612      90672
    -/+ buffers/cache:     123088   15168796
    Swap:      4789244          0    4789244

CPU - AMD A10 7850K

Motherboard - Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+

Output of 'lspci' -

Update here's another list with from Debian jessie lspci;

The hard drive btw I'm using (the system drive in an SSD) a WD 1TB drive, Blue, 64mb cache type WD10EZEX, date 13 May 2014. I don't know what the read/write speeds for this type of drive are alas :( x.x

This is the case I am using btw. It supports 4 sata hard drives but are connected via a SAS (there's a board at the back of the connectors for the hard drives in the case) to SATA converter cable to the motherboard.

I am not sure either what "device 14xx" is above either. Maybe the hardware is a bit too new for debian/OMV to understand 100%?

Don't think the computer is too slow - !

ljones

• If you don't have an odd install (having /root on your data drives) you did test the speed of your SSD, not your hard drive.
    The speed is way to low, but what figures do you get on your HDD (mountet to /media/<UID>)?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• I double checked again and this time I even explicitly mounted the second hard drive (1TB) directly by doing:

Code
    $ mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/0

I did it in this way so as to avoid any errors for sure this time.

Using the command "df -h" I could see I have about 917GB on /tmp/0 which shows it must be the hard drive and not the SSD (which is a lot smaller - !) Running "cfdisk" also confirmed that this was the right drive this time.

The results this time were better but not straight off. I tried running

Code
    $ cd /tmp/0
    $ dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=1G count=1 oflag=direct

This time I got better results. The first one was 88 MB/s, followed by 161 MB/s then 160 MB/s, then 155MB/s then 167MB/s. Not sure why it should've been so slow at the start. But then I am thinking -- if I was accidentally using the SSD in my earlier posts why was the speed so low? Aren't SSDs supposed to be a *lot* faster than hard drives?

Since directly mounting the drive and running 'dd' on it seems to get higher speeds does that mean I have some sort of mounting issue in OMV? Or is it really working fine and it was just down to accidentally using the SSD and not the HDD?

Update: Getting a very low network speed problem now (not hard drive) -- copying via a direct cable (network cable, cat6 between OMV and a PC) is around 35MB/s on a 1GBit ethernet connection. Though I am using KDE/Debian to try this (from that machine to OMV) -- the way KDE reports is copying speed over the network is slightly confusing. It is saying "35MiB/s" so I am wondering if it is referring to megabits/s or megabytes/s .....

ljones

• OMV will mount any Disk in /media/<UID>
    Just mount the drive using OMV und redo the test in the directory /media/<UID>

160 MB/s sounds ok to me, not sure what you did the first time in /root.

• Apologies for reviving this older thread, but something odd is going on. Using the same equipment and setup my speed seems to have collapsed. I did once in the posts above get 160MB/s and 155MB/s but now it seems to have dropped down to around 65MB/s. I did try another hard drive, and that was worse at 45MB/s. I can confirm I'm writing to the hard drive and not the SSD.

What could cause such a big drop?

Update -- Possible fix though still not as good as before. I added in OMVs options - "edit share" the option async. So I have subtree_check,insecure,no_root_squash,async in there as options. The speed is now coming out at 114MB/s. Is this a good idea or is this some sort of fluke?

ljones

• I had to look for that option. But indeed it wasn't checked! So I'll try some more and see what performance is like.

Mind you I still have a problem with KDE/Dolphin and NFS. Though it's a different problem than before -- I can access it, but;

- directories all show up as "Unknown" instead of the amount of files in the directory (e.g. 3 FIles)
    - Text files can't be read correctly (e.g. by kwrite) - it says "Failed to mount /export". There's also a "try again" button which if pressed then works.
    - jpeg images can be read with no problems.
    - video files repsond with an error message (e.g. "nfs://192.168.1.5/export/test/video1.ts - file not found")

I'm guessing I am experiencing some sort of access issue?

ljones

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!