When will OMV3 be ready

• Hello,

I know it'd a lot of work and I know you are doing this for free. But nevertheless it would be nice to get some infos about the release status of OMV3. It's clear that "it's done when it's done" as you always state. But I'd appreciate a few information about what still has to be done until release?

I ask because Debian 9 is already announced for 2017. Debian Jessie has poor hardware support as it uses an outdated Kernel which comes without Skylake support. So if I'd install a fresh machine I could run into trouble.

I think a lot of poeple would be interested in an answer.

Has anyone tested the backport 4.x kernels announced somewhere here in this forum? I upgraded Kernels in Ubuntu, but don't know if Debian likes it.

Regards,
    BKS

• Moin @bierkistenschlepper,

I use an actual skylake xeon processor with kernel 4.4/4.5 from the backports with openmediavault 3.0.13 without hardware problems. There was one little thing in the syslog. aer "advanced error reporting" generated a lot of messages, but it was solved here in the forum: Kernel 4.4 Error "AER: Corrected error received: id=00e0"

At the moment you can see some error threads with openmediavault 3.0.15 here in the forum, so you should be aware of using a beta. A downgrade to 3.0.13 is possible: [HOWTO] Downgrade to version 3.0.13 after accidentally upgrading to newer version (breaking things)

Maybe you want to use the stable omv 2 release with an actual kernel. I didn't test this, but read about it also here in the forum: http://forums.openmediavault.o…3-OMV-2-Kernel-4-x-Image/Maybe you can also find this kernel in the backports of debian wheezy. I don't know.

I had to install omv 3 as follows because of the network interfaces chipset (intel x550 - 10gbit ethernet) not being implemented in the omv 3 standard kernel 3.16.x. This should work in the same way for omv 2:

• install openmediavault without network interface and without choosing a mirror while setup procedure
    • copy the kernel to an usb medium, mount it and install kernel with "dpkg -i"
    • configure the following files manually: "etc/network/interfaces", "/etc/resolv.conf" and "/etc/apt/sources.list", reboot
    • check network connection with some ping tests in both directions, configure "network - interfaces" via omv webui, reboot again
    • do "apt-get update/upgrade"

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Hello,

thanks for your advised!

I set up OMV2.2 with Kernel 4.4.1 and it seems to work on my Hardware (HP Microserver Gen8). But I think its no very kind solution to manually install a current kernel - especially for inexperienced users.

Too bad that we don't get any release date info about OMV3. It would really help some people to decide which OS to use on new hardware.

Regards,
    BKS

• Moin,

cool, that this method also works for you with omv 2.2. What is the newest kernel version in the wheezy backports?

Greetings Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

The kernel version isn't everything. Some drivers will be backport to the standard kernel. So, jessie may not support skylake right now but it may in the future.

OMV3 is further along than the plugins. I haven't even started porting most of the plugins to the new datamodels. So, I would guess the release data is a less than six months away.

Manually installing a kernel isn't that big of a deal if you can do it once. It usually isn't a deal breaker to not upgrade the kernel for a few months.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is the newest kernel version in the wheezy backports?

4.4.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.4.6-1~bpo8+1 (2016-03-20) x86_64 GNU/Linux

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• The kernel version isn't everything. Some drivers will be backport to the standard kernel. So, jessie may not support skylake right now but it may in the future.

Yes, but we want to use omv with our skylake arch now and not in round about half a year. So, we must become creative. ;)

Thansk in advance!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cut and paste from the wrong server. 3.16 is the newest on wheezy. 4.4 is the newest on jessie. There a couple of posts on this forum of people compiling newer kernels for wheezy.

• I cut and paste from the wrong server. 3.16 is the newest on wheezy. 4.4 is the newest on jessie. There a couple of posts on this forum of people compiling newer kernels for wheezy.

Ok, this is the hard thing for us users with skylake architecture. We do not have a big alternative. ;) This why I decided to use omv 3, even though it is an early beta version. But at the moment everything works fine with "openmediavault 3.0.13" on hold in apt. Maybe it's my final version for the next few months until omv 3 beta works again.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys investigating into this project!

Greetings Hoppel

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Roadmap? No. OMV 4? Probably if I can convince Volker. We convinced him to move to nginx in OMV 0.6 because of the noticeable speed increase. php7 has shown me similar speed increases in my work. So, I will push for it in OMV 4. I won't push for it in OMV 3 because it is not in the Jessie (or even jessie backports) repo.

• Hm, maybe it's possible to remove the strong relationship between OMV webgui and PHP. At the moment (OMV2) I can't install PHP5.6 because when uninstalling php5.4 it removes omv webgui.

It would be nice if this would become possible, at our own risk, of course.

PHP is developing very fast and Debian is always a little outdated but it should be possible to install any software by using PPAs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The relationship is necessary so that OMV installs the right version of php. You can easily down the source, change the version in the control file, and build your own package to test.

I would never use a PPA in Debian. Why do you need newer php? You could always run a newer version in a docker or VM.

• Regarding the future, is there any roadmap to switch to php7?

ciao

luigi

There's currently no real need for OMV to switch to PHP 7.0 until it's released in Debian. If you need it and is currently running OMV 3.0 you can just enable the Dotdeb repo for Jessie and install php7.0. It's possible to have both php5 and php7.0 installed at the same time.

• What are you missing?

It is just a fresh compiled kernel with new drivers and modules.

New kernels aren't required for old hardware. Which Hardware do you use? (I am writing with tapatalk and can't see signatures.)

Maybe you have less power consumption or better network performance. What did you test?

Greetings Hoppel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von hoppel118 ()

• What are you missing with kernel 3.16?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!