No updates found due to exception and zfs cannot start

• As I wrote in another thread, I suspect I have a memory leak and I suspect it is Embys Library scan.
    Therefore I started with an update of the system by selecting all packages on Update Manager page and when that was done I also added OMV 2.2.3 that appeared.

Next I wanted to update Emby to the latset version as well, so I checkked for new updates (as I still had the previous version of that one).
    That gave me a long exception and the package update failed:
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': Ign file: Release.gpg Ign file: Release Ign file: Translation-en Hit http://debian.yeasoft.net wheezy Release.gpg...
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu/dists/$(lsb_release/-s)/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Error #4000:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': Ign file: Release.gpg
    (so long in fact that I had to use pastebin for the rest of the exception):
    http://pastebin.com/3KsHMHvh

Not sure how to clean up the environment to fix this.

But whats worse is that after the update and restart, ZFS has stopped working and all I get is this:

"modprobe zfs" just gave another error:
    :~# /sbin/modprobe zfs
    ERROR: could not insert 'zfs': Invalid argument

If I look at installed plugins, zfs is present, but I guess it is in a bad state.

I need to fix both problems, but the ZFS issue is the most important, but I suspect they are related in some way.
    I really hope that @raulfg3 or someone else have some ideas here.

Would it be a good idea to uninstall and reinstall the ZFS-plugin?

By the way. The forum is incredibly slow today. Is there a problem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/…ain/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu/dists/$(lsb_release/-c/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu/dists/$(lsb_release/-s)/binary-amd64/Packages

You have ubuntu repos using a wheezy (debian) as codename dist?

Look at this ts/$(lsb_release/-c/binary-a Does it makes sense to you? go and try to open that URL

You probably read a tutorial where they said echo "URL etc etc" > /etc/apt/sources.list right?

try to delete or fix those repos

Second regarding the ZFS issue, looks very suspicious of basic command execution fail, in what kind of media is the OS installed?

The forum is slow yes. Might be the hosting service, don't really know

• Do some RAM TEST, and post if your boot device is a USB Key or something simmilar.

I suspect a boot disk corruption, in this case the best option is to do a new fresh reinstall of OMV, your data is safest on your data disk, but you need some handwork to recreate shares, and config by hand, but normally is the fast option because is really difficult to identify the problem.

PD:if your boot disk is a HD, revise SMART values to be sure that is OK.

• PD: For your RAM problem:

EMBY is really angry about RAM and grow in each rebuikd of database, so you need to stop and then restart to restore RAM to aceptable values , this must be done one time each 2 or 3 weeks to avoid excesive RAM comsumitio.

ZFS is angry about RAM , but you can limit RAM use , with variables, see my ZFS post, and limit your ZFS RAM usage to 4GB max (I assume that you have 8GB):
    [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

PD2: I use minidlna to see movies on my TV, is not as beautifull as emby is, but it use less RAM tahn emby.

Emby is only usefull if you want to share your media with your family/friends and have a really good internet connexion to share throught Wan.

• Thanks. I probably used a tutorial, yes. Removed that line from sources.list, hopefully it will work better next time.

The line "ts/$(lsb_release/-c/binary-a" is part of the repo for Sabnzbd 8.0 that worked earlier.
    I removed that, hopefully OMV have v8 now.

After these steps I get no errors when I check for updates.

The OS is installed on an old 80Gb IDE-disc. Might be coming to its EOL.
    The S.M.A.R.T tab reports that there are a few bad sectors.
    What tool is best to use on OMV to restore data from, handle and ignore the bad blocks (until I can switch the disc)?

I have no sata-slots left. Should I move it all to two USB-sticks and use the Flash memory plugin?

• If your old 80GB disk have bad blocks, plesae throw to sherreder and use a new one instead, can be old, but MUST be in good condition.

You do not need something special to restore data, your data is safe in your data disk, only need to do a new reinstall on a new disk, and read my post about emby and ZFS because both are RAM angry and you need to limit RAM use.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What tool is best to use on OMV to restore data from, handle and ignore the bad blocks (until I can switch the disc)?

That used to be the old way, before SMART hit consumer drives. Now that's why SMART exists, the beginning of the end is when the the drive uses spare sectors to replace bad ones (around 200 units) so you have that time to get a new drive before data corruption starts, which I believe is your case.

USB stick is an option, but pick a new one or one that it has not being smashed before. And yes use the flash memory plugin, should be the first software to install.

• PD: For your RAM problem:

EMBY is really angry about RAM and grow in each rebuikd of database, so you need to stop and then restart to restore RAM to aceptable values , this must be done one time each 2 or 3 weeks to avoid excesive RAM comsumitio.

It does not seem to release the memory even then, I tried to stop/start the emby service and the EMby itself but it did not release the data as expected. Restart of OMV could be a soultion, I guess. But not as nice.
    I use emby to serv my Kodi with info and to serve my daughter out of town and it works well..

ZFS is angry about RAM , but you can limit RAM use , with variables, see my ZFS post, and limit your ZFS RAM usage to 4GB max (I assume that you have 8GB):
    [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

I did that and as long as emby behaves the ram consumption is OK. ZFS was my first suspect, but I have turned my eyes to emby now, as that seems more likely.[/quote]

Bad sectors seems to be the cause right now, can I retrieve and temporary save my system to get it running for a couple of days until I can get a new install in place?

• Did a reinstall on a USB-drive and added the Flash Memory plugin first thing.

But since I imported the ZFS pools, they have dropped off the grid at least twice. They reappear when I do a new import, but I really do not like the trend...
    Edit: Just restarted the system and the ZFS pools was gone again. It seems they are not saved correctly (for aouto mount).

And one of the pool is reported as Status: OK but Degraded.
    It was OK before, might this be some effect after the bad sector problem of the old drive?
    Can I just wipe it and add it again with replace?

By the way, it would be great to have some indicator on the zfs-tab that there is something going on. I started a scrub to see if that would help, but never saw any clear indication for progress.
    The status report showed that the scrub was running though.

Edit. Great to have the site back in full speed again after the short downtime! :)
    New Edit, adding @raulfg3 here as I suspect he is the best one to answer this...

• Did a reinstall on a USB-drive and added the Flash Memory plugin first thing.

But since I imported the ZFS pools, they have dropped off the grid at least twice. They reappear when I do a new import, but I really do not like the trend...
    Edit: Just restarted the system and the ZFS pools was gone again. It seems they are not saved correctly (for aouto mount)

Perhaps is a problem with USB plugin, to be sure, the best is to do a new fresh install an a new IDE old disk that do not have pending sectors.

And one of the pool is reported as Status: OK but Degraded.
    It was OK before, might this be some effect after the bad sector problem of the old drive?
    Can I just wipe it and add it again with replace?

My suspect is bad sata cables or something related to cables or cages, do you use hot-plug cages to connect your SATA Disk?, if yes, try to use direct sata conexion to your board, in the past I have experience simmilar problems ( disk that suddenly dissapear), and thje problem was a hot-plug cages for my data HD .

Revise cable connexion, and HD temp too, and post your SMART values of your data disk to revise.

• Perhaps is a problem with USB plugin, to be sure, the best is to do a new fresh install an a new IDE old disk that do not have pending sectors.

I will install it on a WD SATA 250Gb connected with USB instead of a flash drive. I did a new clean install btw, I did not try to restore it (other than some folders). I wish to move that job a couple of days forward though. Have too much other stuff to do rigt now. And it is GoT season again... ;)

My suspect is bad sata cables or something related to cables or cages, do you use hot-plug cages to connect your SATA Disk?, if yes, try to use direct sata conexion to your board, in the past I have experience simmilar problems ( disk that suddenly dissapear), and thje problem was a hot-plug cages for my data HD .

Revise cable connexion, and HD temp too, and post your SMART values of your data disk to revise.

No hot plug only sata cables. But I might have loosened it when I removed the power cords to install OMV.

The disc names are switching between restarts, feels odd...
    And this time the degraded one was loaded but not the others.

Really should reinstall

Here is the S:M:A:R:T ino on the disc that is set as faulty:

It was too much info for one post. Added the rest on pastebin (if anything there is relevant)

• I switched to a new sata cable and after I started, it have started and automated resilver.
    So I am a bit impressed with how simple that was.

On the down side, Only one pool, the degraded one, appeared after the restart.
    But the others came back after a new import.

As I said, I will reinstall OMV on a proper harddrive, even if it is attached with USB.
    Do I need the flash memory plugin for that kind of drive too? Probably not.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I need the flash memory plugin for that kind of drive too? Probably not.

Nope.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!