share folder empty under when logged in via FTP

• Hi all,

This is my first post and I have to say that OMV is on the very right track. I've migrated from a "hand-made" NAS solution based on OpenSUSE (which had to be mantained via SSH) and I never looked back. I am having some problems with FTP and NFS which I actually think it is related. Anyway, I would like to post the FTP question/situation here.

I have a RAID5 system which is formatted as XFS over LUKS and mounted (it doesn't mount automatically at boot but that is what I want). Inside I have a shared folder called storage. This shared folder is used in the FTP service as a share. As a user, say gaussniwre, I can log in to the FTP server and get to the storage folder but the folder shows up empty. I can emphasize it enough: although I'm not the owner of the files/directories inside storage, I am in the group and the privileges are set for read-only. Also, in the ACL I even added myself to the read/write column and customized a lot of users/groups to have reading access to the share (inclusing ftp,tftp,users,staff,proftp,...). And yes, I checked the recursive option to apply the priviledges/ACL to the entire folder structure. I'm running out of options... any idea appreciated.

Kind regards,

G

• with ftp you should really create a user just for the ftp. make the ftp user's home folder storage. then it should work.

In OMV WebGUI:
    Access Right Management/User

On right window highlight user you want to change their home directory.
    Then click on settings tab above.
    Put check in enable.
    Then choose location and click on ok.

• I'm having this problem too.

I've setup SMB, AFP, SSH and FTP. SMB and AFP require no login (guest), SSH and FTP do.
    I've made one user account for FTP.
    I have one shared folder, which is set to r/w for everyone.

If i don't set r/w priveleges for my FTP account everything works perfect, expect I can't login into FTP (Filezilla says: 530 Login incorrect).
    If I do set priveleges (and enable home folder), I can login into FTP but I can't see any folders and I can't make any folders within FTP (permission problem).
    Also when enabling r/w priveleges for my FTP account I can't login as guest on AFP anymore, only with the FTP account's username and password. SMB works fine though.

Am I missing something?

Isn't there a FTP group, were I can add my FTP user to? This may solve my problem perhaps.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You are having problems because when you login using Filezilla, it is trying to write files in the /home/ftp directory. Your user doesn't have permissions to access this because it owned by ftp with no write access to you.

In the proftpd config, it creates the share like below. So, even though you are picking the share folder, it still puts it in the /home/ftp directory. Volker, is this what you intended? I would think it should be in the /media/uuid/test directory??

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok I understand. This was with Freenas and Nas4Free also.
    But I don't have permissions to write into /home/ftp/ !
    I can't even see any folders in the /home/ftp folder with FTP.

Thats the bug I guess.
    I'll try to give /home/ftp permissions manually via SSH, see if this works...

Edit:

With SSH I can see my share folder in it.
    Permissions are already set right, /home/ftp contains a link to my shared folder which is indeed set to r/w for everyone.

But still with FTP:

Shouldn't I be able to add my account to some sort of FTP group? Because now my account isn't defined as an FTP user, so it can't have any permissions in /home/ftp... There only exists one FTP user (from proftpd), and no groups..

• Everybody, including users and groups, has r/w access.
    If I set priveleges for my user on my shared folder, I can't connect with AFP anymore using guest access and I still can't login with FTP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As soon as I went to privileges under the Shared folder and gave my user R/W permissions, everything worked fine. I checked and my share is mounted via bind with proper permissions and owned by the Users group. Is your user in the Users group? I don't think you will be able to have guest access on one service and passwords on all the others.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes my user is in the following groups: users, adm, www-data, ssh and tftp.
    If i set r/w privileges on my shared folder I'm still not able to login into FTP and AFP guest access doesn't work, but SMB guest access does work..

System log shows:

Code
    Jan 25 14:04:46 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP3.3 Login by nobody
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP logout by nobody
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: afp_over_dsi: client logged out, terminating DSI session
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP statistics: 0.14 KB read, 0.12 KB written

FTP log shows:

Code
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - FTP session opened.
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - mod_wrap/1.2.3: using access files: /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - mod_wrap/1.2.3: allowed connection from ::ffff:192.168.1.114
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd: pam_unix(proftpd:session): session opened for user [myuser] by (uid=0)
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - Preparing to chroot to directory '/home/ftp'
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - error: user [myuser] home directory is NULL or ""
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd: pam_unix(proftpd:session): session closed for user [myuser]
    Jan 25 14:04:47 openmediavault proftpd[32062]: 127.0.1.1 (::ffff:192.168.1.114[::ffff:192.168.1.114]) - FTP session closed.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

My user (aaron) is in the users, ssh, and sambshare groups and has /bin/bash for a shell. Make sure you don't have nologin or false. I also created the /home/aaron directory.
    aaron has r/w permissions in the Shared folder.
    All default settings in FTP.
    Enable user home directories and set browseable are checked in samba.
    Set browseable is checked and Public is unchecked for samba share.
    I don't have afp installed.

• Ok so reading from the log I enabled home directory for my user. Now my FTP works, but my AFP still isn't.
    However, if I login with my FTP user in AFP, I can connect.

AFP guest access doesn't work anymore when enabling r/w priveleges...

How can we solve this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't test afp so I'm not much help there :(

• No problem ryecoaaron ;).

Anybody else can? :)
    I would really like AFP guest access to work, it's used here a lot by multiple Mac's.

The log file shows

Code
    Jan 25 14:04:46 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP3.3 Login by nobody
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP logout by nobody
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: afp_over_dsi: client logged out, terminating DSI session
    Jan 25 14:04:57 openmediavault afpd[32060]: AFP statistics: 0.14 KB read, 0.12 KB written
    • Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you will be able to have a guest when the shared folder has permissions. Couldn't you just create an afp_user and simple password for all the mac users to use?

• In Freenas and Nas4Free it did work though..
    I don't understand, because my shared folder has r/w permissions for everybody, so including 'nobody' (guest).
    As soon as I set privileges, guest access is not working anymore. Only for AFP, because SMB guest access works just fine.

Also, in the systemlog AFP says 'unexpected EOF' (end of file). What is this exactly? Is there another log specific for AFP so I can read the error messages?

I could create a user specific for mac users, but most ideal situation would be guest access ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed the afp plugin but I didn't get much further not having a Mac. I even looked at the afp clients for linux but didn't have time to try.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!