Is it possible to install OMV onto a M.2 SATA?

• Hey!

New member and user of OMV here, and in need in some help regarding installation. I've tried to install OMV onto a USB flash drive with no success, I'm getting this error all the time:

Code
    Error #6000: exception 'OMVException' with message 'File contains invalid JSON (filename=/var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json): ' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/util.inc:274 Stack trace: #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(365): OMVJsonFile->read() #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(55): OMVModuleMgr->setModuleDirty('webserver') #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(45): OMVModuleAbstract->setDirtyByName('webserver') #3 [internal function]: OMVModuleAbstract->setDirty(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array) #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/notify.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #5 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/webgui.inc(118): OMVNotifyDispatcher->notify(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array) #6 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceWebGui->setSettings(Array, Array) #7 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array) #9 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(501): OMVRpc::exec('WebGui', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1) #10 {main}

So now I would like to install OMV onto a M.2 SATA if it's possible since my MOBO supports M.2.

My setup:
    PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($111.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI H110I Pro Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($36.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($187.75 @ Amazon)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($84.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you try: rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

You should be able to install on m2 if the kernel supports. I would guess you would need the backports 3.16 kernel though.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Did you try: <code class="inlineCode">rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json</code>

You should be able to install on m2 if the kernel supports. I would guess you would need the backports 3.16 kernel though.

Yes I did that, unless I did it wrong :/ ? I did it on the servers monitor after login in as root.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you fully update OMV? That is one of the first steps I perform on a new install.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yes. I went to System -> Update Manager and installed everything. After that I went and diabled the 5 minute timout thing and put it at 0, I then get the error message. Maybe I installed it wrong? I'll write down my steps and see if you can spot something wrong.

• Downloaded openmediavault_2.1_amd64.iso
    • Write .iso with unetbootin to my Install USB
    • Inserted the Install USB stick (A) and my target USB stick (B) i want to install it onto
    • Boot into my Install stick through bios by pressing F11 and choosing Install (my screen doesn't look like this tough, don't know if that's a problem)
    • Grub error comes up, I then follow this guide
    • Login into GUI
    • Update
    • Refresh
    • Error when changing the timeout page to 0 or anything for that matter
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Did you reboot after all those updates?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Strange. What is the output of:

cat /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json
    dpkg -l | grep openm

• Strange. What is the output of:

cat /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json
    dpkg -l | grep openm

it says that -1 is a unknown 'flag' (don't know if flag is the proper term in English, i've set the language to Swedish)

And i've even done the "rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json" after restaring when the update was finished and then rebooted again.

• it says that -1 is a unknown 'flag' (don't know if flag is the proper term in English, i've set the language to Swedish)

And i've even done the "rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json" after restaring when the update was finished and then rebooted again.

Ok.. So I just unlpugged my HDD and installed OMV to my usb stick from the installer usb stick. I didn't get the grub error or any error at all. I even tried to change the page timeout to 0 like i used to, but then I got the same error, but now I don't get any error at all.

Altough... I have to have booth of my usb flashdrives in the system or it wont boot... Which is odd. Is there a way to fix this or is this a common issue, or am I just out of luck?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Patience... You didn't give me time to answer.

That is not the number one. It is a lowercase L.

There are some very recent threads that would tell you to pull out the installer usb stick right before grub is going to install. Your system boots when both are plugged in because the grub boot record is written to your installer usb drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!