"Something wicked happened resolving 'packages.openmediavault.org:http

• thanks for the reply!

No, this is a normal PC I am now using as a server.

It is connected to a router via LAN. This router is the DHCP-server. I have some other routers in the same IP range 192.168.11.0/24, one of them is serving the Wifi. Another is working as a switch. The PC I am using to write this is connected to the switch. The ping works fine from here. Above the DHCP-server-router is another router "B" - because I have a second network parallel to mine for guests with another DHCP-server-router. The router "B" (the one next to the DSL-modem) is forwarding everything to my local DHCP-server-router, the one the OMV is connected to.

I am not sure if this cascading stuff might have something to do with the problem. Although it is unclear why pinging works from any other machine in the same IP-space.

• I changed to fixed now. I was hesitant to do it because I am copying a lot of stuff. I now have the same IP as fixed, it was also a reserved address in the DHCP-server-router.

Ping is still not working.

Is it possible that one of the routers - the one I just use as a switch - in the network is not letting the OMV-PC into the internet? Because on this switch I entered several MAC addresses that are the only ones that should be allowed to connect to "the network". It would be weird, because the OMV machine is NOT using this switch. It is not connected to it. But maybe the routing goes through it? It's pretty lame for an idea but the only one I have.

• You can have problems when you are using multiple routers. Do you have anything else plugged into the router you are using as a switch and is it able to access sites by name? Your internet access is working if "ping 8.8.8.8 -c 4" works. What firmware are you using for your router? Most routers have a status page that will show the DNS Server it is using. You could try the DNS Server that shows on that page. With DD-WRT there is a Status TAB and then a sub TAB for WAN that shows DNS 1 and DNS 2. You could try the router's (the one being used as a switch) ip address that your OMV is on too.

• The network is like this:

DSLmodem--ROUTERb--DHCProuter-----------------------Switch--SecondSynology
    ....................|.................|..|...|.................................|
    ....................|.................|..|...|................................ ThePCiUseToWriteThis.
    ....................|.................|..|...WiFiRouter
    ....................|.................|..|
    ....................|.................|..OMV
    ....................|.................|
    ....................|.................|SynologyServer
    ....................|
    ....................ROUTERguestNetwork

The Wifi-Router is serving a wifi and I can send a ping from a PC in that wifi. The DHCP-server is also serving IPs to PCs in the wifi. So there is no other DHCP-server in that network. Copying files from Synology to OMV is working. It even worked, when both where connected to the switch. The second Synology server is connected to the switch AND is connected to the internet.

Router B is setting the DHCP-Router in DMZ, meaning (in my opinion), that any attemp to connect is forwarded to the DHCP-router.

There is port forwarding for incomming stuff from the DHCP-Router to the second synology. But I think if the OMV sends a ping, then there should be a route to OMV back, right?

(To clarify: Router B is serving an IP as a DHCP-server to the DHCP-router and to the ROUTERguestNetwork. But there is no second DHCP-server in the same IP range as the Wifi, the OMV, etc.)

• OK, that router connected to the dsl modem is the main router and your OMV is plugged into it. You should not have any weird networking issues on that router. Routers can get hungup. Did you try cycling the power?

• the router after the DSL modem is a seperate unit from the router where the OMV is plugged in. it is a router cascade. the first router puts the DHCP-router in DMZ, meaning it is forwarding anything that comes in from the internet. If you dont suggest it's a problem then the problem must be within the OMV.

• Is router b built in the dsl modem??? Normally nowadays with DSL you get a modem that had a router/switch build into it from your provider. I don't understand why you are messing with DMZ. If I had a DSL modem with a crappy router/4 port switch build in it I would bridge it.

• I am not mad. I am working.... When you have multiple routers like you do it is really difficult to know what is going on when you are not viewing the router pages yourself.

• thank you for this advice. i have a different setting where the first router after the DSLmodem has da different IP range then the one after it (and the third one, which is running parallel to the second one).

the first router has, say, 192.168.100.0/24 and then I have two routers connected to the LAN ports of the first router with one of them having 192.168.111.0/24 and the other one 192.168.222.0/24. So all three of them are serving IPs, but just for their networks, and the network of the wirst router contains just of the two routers after it.

Should be alright, yes?

I did it like in this article which is in german, but it has a picture with the relevant information. http://www.heise.de/netze/arti…ter-Kaskaden-1825801.html

• Before you had 192.168.11.102 for your OMV ip. Is the subnet 192.168.111.0/24 or 192.168.11.0/24??? Also, can you give me a screenshot of the settings page for the router for this subnet? This is where you setup the router's ip, netmask, etc... Did you try unplugging everything and plugging it back in again??? All routers and switches???

Also, you are using a fixed ip for your OMV? What address?

• Whre are we so far:

• OMV can be reached within your local network (Syno to OMV)
    • OMV can be reached by a PC in second network
    • OMV can not ping the google DNS Server (8.8.8.8)
    • OMV can reach DHCPRouter (to get the IP address)

What remains open:

• Can OMV reach (ping, telnet, ssh, whatever) RouterB (if not: check firewall on DHCPRouter)
    • Can OMV reach anything behind RouterB (any public IP) (if not: check routing aif DHCPRouter and/or check firewall on RouterB)

And please clarify on the IP Ranges of your sub-networks and the IP of OMV you said

Zitat

# The loopback network interface

Router client list shows 192.168.11.102, the IP i use to access it, not the one OMV displays in the GUI.

and

Zitat

the first router has, say, 192.168.100.0/24 and then I have two routers connected to the LAN ports of the first router with one of them having 192.168.111.0/24 and the other one 192.168.222.0/24. So all three of them are serving IPs, but just for their networks, and the network of the wirst router contains just of the two routers after it.

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Thanks for the summary. Nr. 2 is not true. The PC that reaches the OMV is also in the local network. Second network is the guestNetwork. Nothing is in there to access or beeing accessed by the local network. Thats the point of having it.

The IPs I wrote in this thread are not the ones that are used in my network, for security reasons. PC, OMV, Synology and DHCP-router are reachable through the same IP-range that beginns with 192.168.111

RouterB is rechable through a different IP range, say 192.168.222.1.

I successfully pinged my DHCP-router from the bash of the OMV.

I successfully pinged RouterB from the bash of the OMV.

I tried traceroute the Synology server in the local network. That also worked. I am copying files from that server on to the OMV.

I tried ping the 8.8.8.8. - this also worked. This should mean the OMV can access the internet, right?

root@omv:~# ping -c 4 8.8.8.8
    PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=1 ttl=45 time=26.8 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=2 ttl=45 time=25.8 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=3 ttl=45 time=22.0 ms
    64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_req=4 ttl=45 time=22.9 ms

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 22.039/24.397/26.832/1.983 ms

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!