OMV Web Gui Not Stable

• New install using latest ISO

Checked that Apache is not running. Nginx is on 80.

Installed Plex media server last night. Installed Greyhole. Came back this morning, and server was not responsive to anything. Rebooted, and I could get access to Webgui. However, shortly after that, it became wacky again.

I cannot get access to Updates page, plugins page, or SSH page (I get "a communication error occured") with no other info.

I've tried restarting the nginx from the CLI, but that does not help. I've also tried apt-get update but that does not list any updates.

Anything I can try?

• I am also getting emails from the system log:

Connection failed Service nginx Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 10:40:15 Action: restart Host: BraverCloud.braverman.net Description: failed protocol test [HTTP] at INET[127.0.0.1:80] via TCP -- HTTP: Error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailableYour faithful employee,Monit

Connection succeeded Service nginx Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 10:42:30 Action: alert Host: BraverCloud.braverman.net Description: connection succeeded to INET[127.0.0.1:80] via TCPYour faithful employee,Monit

Why would it lose its connection (this is happening often)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bumping after an hour?

What type of media is OMV installed on?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry wan't sure what the timeline for replies looked like.

OMV is installed on a 750gb SATA drive.

I am new to OMV, just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot it. The network seems to be setup correctly, but OMV-Firtaid gives me a socket error when I try to make it static. I am not sure if this is related to the nginx problem.

• Solved. I am not sure how or why, but after 2 restarts, and setting a static IP using OMV-Firstaid, followed by another restart, all seems to be running smooth and stable.

I'm not sure why it was not stable using the IP assigned by DHCP.

• I'm late to the game on this thread but can confirm that most of the WebGUI issues are resolved with a static IP. I experienced similar problems with Cisco routers assigning DHCP - most of the problems revolve around DNS registration problems and not correctly adding or updating PTR records so reverse lookups constantly fail (which is likely the random 'Error' that pops up when you are clicking around the GUI)

• Found this post, for stabilizing the WebGUI. Better, but not perfect. I also tried adding my router's DNS Server names and got this error:

"Error #6000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'File contains invalid JSON (filename=/var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json): ' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/util.inc:279Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(371): OMVJsonFile->read()
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(55): OMVModuleMgr->setModuleDirty('networking')
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/module.inc(45): OMVModuleAbstract->setDirtyByName('networking')
    #3 [internal function]: OMVModuleAbstract->setDirty(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/notify.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/network.inc(188): OMVNotifyDispatcher->notify(8, 'org.openmediava...', Array)
    #6 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/network.inc(650): OMVRpcServiceNetwork->setInterfaceConfig(Array, Array)
    #7 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceNetwork->setEthernetIface(Array, Array)
    #8 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('setEthernetIfac...', Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Network', 'setEthernetIfac...', Array, Array, 1)
    #11 {main}"

What is this? Is there an updated JSON plugin that goes with version 2.2.10 or something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Delete that file. This is why I update OMV to the lastest version from command line before doing anything in the web interface.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• OK. Delete JSON. How is that done? (I don't have Linux command line experience.)

Also, as long as you're helping me with that, I now have 4 1TB harddrives in my Dell PowerEdge 20 plus the memory stick, but under the File Systems in the GUI it shows that I have seven devices:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/1824999724997908 ntfs
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sdb1
    /dev/sdc1
    /dev/sdd1
    /dev/sde1 (this is the memory stick).

none are yet mounted, except for the stick.

I can't seem to do anything with those first two. Any idea what they may be and how to handle them? I was thinking maybe they are old partitions on the drives, but I reformatted all the drives to ext4.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von curious1 () aus folgendem Grund: get more than one answer to more than one issue

• The WebGUI is incredibly unstable. I have a very high speed connection on my network, and have tried the DHCP and Static setups. It continuously has erroneous errors and communication errors. Also, when a command is issued from it, there is no indication that anything is happening so you don't know where it is in process. Unbelievably poor WebGUI. Hope someone improves this thing one of these days.

• Delete that file. This is why I update OMV to the lastest version from command line before doing anything in the web interface.

Uh, I can't tell what file to delete, and I don't know how to delete a file. Any help would be appreciated. Is the newer version 3 more stable than version 2.2.10?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought this line would give you a hint of what file to delete

File contains invalid JSON (filename=/var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

I honestly can't figure out why you are having all these issues updating. And yes, install OMV 3.x. When I do a fresh install, the first things I do are set the time zone in Date & Time and go right to Updates tab to install all packages. Then I reboot.

• Well, I understand that I'm a bit challenging, but I came into this extremely cold, with no understanding or knowledge of any kind of Linux. So I think the filename is dirtymodules.json, but I don't know what a delete command looks like, and once I know what that command is, whether I would put in the whole path (I guess it's a path) of /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json or just dirtymodules.json. So if you could tell me exactly what that command would look like, I'd sure appreciate it.

BTW, I went ahead and invoked the Upgrade of all Package Information last night before going to bed (and after setting my GUI to stay on perpetually) and now I only have one update file, which is libsystemd-login0 44-11+deb7u5. I had an all day appointment, and when I got home there was this constant error of not being able to delete or see some tmp file. I closed the log, rebooted the system, and only have that file left to install.

Now I think that much of my angst with updating was not just letting the unnamed errors just flow through. There were literally hundreds of lines of Error surrounded by asterisks. I eventually realized that this doesn't mean anything and just let the process flow. I have gotten used to just ignoring these unexplained errors that keep popping up in the GUI.

So now my system is nearly all updated, except for that systemd login file, and all of the omv-extras are in the system. I have installed my disks, but had a question out there regarding two extra "devices" I can't explain - five drives (4 1TB HDDs and 1 USB boot-stick - and yes I have loaded flashmemory) result in seven devices:
    /dev/sda1 ext4
    /dev/sdb1 ext4
    /dev/sdc1 ext4
    /dev/sdd1 ext4
    /dev/sde1 ext4

So maybe you can help me with these two things:
    1. The actual delete command to delete /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json
    2. Explain, or help me eliminate, these two /dev/disk/by-uuid devices

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. The actual delete command to delete /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

rm /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

Explain, or help me eliminate, these two /dev/disk/by-uuid devices

Did you mount two ntfs drives and then unplug them without unmounting them?

• Did you mount two ntfs drives and then unplug them without unmounting them?

I had four 1TB drives in my old HP MediaSmart Server running Windows Home Server software. The server box died, but the drives were still good. Once I successfully installed OMV to the USB thumb drive and upgraded to version 2.2.10, I installed the four drives into the new box. My thought is that I should be able to reformat those drives to whatever is needed for OMV. There was no option in the old, dead, box for unmounting and I haven't come across anything in the new box for unmounting. I ran Create in the GUI for making ent4 file systems on each of the drives, which I thought I did successfully.

I think that those two 'phantom' devices are leftovers from the NTFS that may have existed on the original boot drive, but really don't know. I don't know about mounting or unmounting. Is there a way to reformat the drives from this system? Is there somewhere you would recommend to teach me about these things?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm not sure what went wrong then. Normally, I would wipe them in the Physical Disks tab, create a EXT4 filesystem on each in the Filesystems tab, and then mount them in the filesystems tab.

• Yeah, I thought I had done that, but am doing it again just to be sure. With all the unnamed errors that the WebGUI generates (mentioned in my other thread from today) I'm never sure if the process completes or not. But I'll keep trying.

Am I right in assuming that if I Wipe the disk and then give them EXT4, that they should have been cleaned of any remaining NTFS?

And are there CLI commands for wiping and formatting the disks? And for identifying them?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I right in assuming that if I Wipe the disk and then give them EXT4, that they should have been cleaned of any remaining NTFS?

Yes

With all the unnamed errors that the WebGUI generates

This is usually a sign that something else is wrong. I never see these except when nginx restarts. If you can get a working system, I would install the backports kernel. Maybe you are having an issue with your network driver.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!