Pinned We need your help to improve the SMART support of Areca RAID contollers in OMV.

• OMV 3.x
    • We need your help to improve the SMART support of Areca RAID contollers in OMV.

All users that are using an Areca RAID controller could help us to improve the support of this hardware in OMV. Please have a look at the following bugtracker issues how to help.

bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1513
      bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1516
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • @votdev :

Problem is sort of solved:
      udev rule assigned as number 10 with the following content:

Source Code

1. SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", ATTRS{vendor}=="Areca ", SYMLINK+="areca"

and then the following in the smartd.conf, the rest is commented out in standard smartd.conf:
      note: i have 16 port areca 1260ML raidcard in JBOD mode with disks in port 1-8. The Defaul line defines type of testing, the Udev code above creates the appropriate short file (referred to as /dev/sgx in smartmontools) as debian changes the /dev/sgx when adding/removing drives

Source Code

1. DEFAULT -a -o on -S on -n standby,q -s (S/../.././02|L/../../6/03) -m email@email.com -M daily
      2. /dev/areca -d areca,1
      3. /dev/areca -d areca,2
      4. /dev/areca -d areca,3
      5. /dev/areca -d areca,4
      6. /dev/areca -d areca,5
      7. /dev/areca -d areca,6
      8. /dev/areca -d areca,7
      9. /dev/areca -d areca,8
      10. #/dev/areca -d areca,9
      11. #/dev/areca -d areca,10
      12. #/dev/areca -d areca,11
      13. #/dev/areca -d areca,12
      14. #/dev/areac -d areca,13
      15. #/dev/areca -d areca,14
      16. #/dev/areca -d areca,15
      17. #/dev/areca -d areca,16
      Display All
    • For this issue i will only accept a GIT pull request which implements the feature above completely. It must be tested and should not break existing functionality. After that we will see if it goes into master.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • Re,

since i'm not an developer even a programmer at all - i'll repeat myself:

Sc0rp wrote:

Nope, cause i'm to stupid

I can only provide the plattform/hardware ... sry anyway ... therefore i wrote:

Sc0rp wrote:

If you need some special tasks, please contact me.

Since i have the "Test-NAS" build, which can be (mis-) used for any testing tasks (currently at OMV 4.x), i'm able to test whatever you want, but i need the instructions ...

Sc0rp
    • votdev wrote:

For this issue i will only accept a GIT pull request which implements the feature above completely. It must be tested and should not break existing functionality. After that we will see if it goes into master.
      I have this setup currently working in Debian stretch. And I do assume that this way of configuring smartd.conf will work for all raidcontrollers supported by Smartmontools. ( ref: smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_RAID-Controllers)

To fix I need to know if Smartd.conf file is available for editing or locked/controlled from another file.

EDIT: Possible to add the option in 4.x to manually configure smartd.conf from commandline? as people then can tweak their system as needed? My thought is that people with specific raidcards etc are people with enough skills to edit two configfiles as needed according to a simple guide in the forum. This will solve all challenges for specific usercases and less work to maintain.

The post was edited 1 time, last by bug11: Proposes a new soluition for 4.x ().