High speed through SMB caused eth0 down

• OMV2.2.3(Latest), RTL8168b/8111b. I used a router with 100Mbs LAN before and all things OK. Recently, I added a switch with 1Gbs LAN and things go wrong. When writing speed up to 100M/s , SMB will caused a crash and I can't access my OMV anymore , which seems like the network is down(confirm in the syslog).Sometimes, the speed is only at 10M/s and after a while the crash also occured. I have asked one of my friends and he reported the same problem.I have no idea now.

OMV 6.0.20-1 (Shaitan) | Linux 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 | omvextrasorg 6.0.8

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you running the backports kernel? You can install it with the install backports button in omv-extras.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Are you running the backports kernel? You can install it with the install backports button in omv-extras.

I've tried and it didn't work. The backports kernel is 3.2.0-4-amd64. Transfer speed(writing) easily dropped from 100m/s to 10m/s and it finally caused the crash.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Backports kernel is 3.16. Regular kernel is 3.2.

Usually the kernel just causes slower speeds and/or other features to not work well. I haven't seen samba crash. How do you know samba is crashing or is the transfer just stopping? Is it segfaulting in syslog? What type of media is OMV installed on?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Backports kernel is 3.16. Regular kernel is 3.2.

Usually the kernel just causes slower speeds and/or other features to not work well. I haven't seen samba crash. How do you know samba is crashing or is the transfer just stopping? Is it segfaulting…

Ths. The backports kernel seems working though I don't know why the 3.2.0 kernel(which is newer) will cause problem. The speed seldom reach above 100m/s, but often on 80-90m/s steadily. And the speed won't drop sharply. No crash and eth0 down occured up to now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

3.2 < 3.16

Version numbers with software do not work like real numbers. The second number is typically called the minor version. So 16 is much newer than 2. 3.16 has newer/better drivers and has fixed many problems especially with realtek NICs.

• Thank you. A LOT!!!

I had problem with samba, i could access/read folders, but when i tried to copy stuff (music or videos) the transfer works a few seconds then drop down, and the nas is no more available on the network... had to reboot manually...

I have searched for 2 weeks, rescan all my parameters, everything was ok !

I have recently changed my configuration to something more economic ( z97n wifi +g3420 to am1b itx+ 5350 athlon ) and my computer has migrated from seven to 10, and since i was on W10, coying wasn't working. Until i read your post.

Will all my gratitude, from France.

Cheers!!! :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!