VirtualBox not stopping VMs correctly

• Whenever I reboot openmediavault-virtualbox is not suspending the VMs correctly. I have a headless omv nas which has IPMI on it and I have dialed into it while I reboot and watch the shutdown process and it says "Stopping the Virtualbox Kernel modules....failed! (cannot unload module vboxdrv)". I have tried to change the init script to shutdown instead of suspend and it does the same thing. I am newer to linux and dont know how to trace it down any further. I am only running a single VM, WHS2011 because I need blueiris for my webcam DVR. OMV is 2.2.3 and VBOX plugin is 1.3. Thanks in advance! BTW I do have backports kernel installed 3.16 and I did use the button to fix for the backports kernel and it seemed to go ok when I did it with no failure messages.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has been an issue with virtualbox for a long time. If you don't have vmtools installed in the VM, it can't shut down the VM either.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yea i have vmtools installed and when I remember to shut it down before i shut the host down I usually do but i always forget. Sorry I didnt know it was a long time problem. But why is it that I can do a "service vboxinit stop" and it works fine? Is that not what debian does on shutdown? Not trying to be a smartass, as i am just curious.

• By "vmtools" do you mean vbox guest additions? If so, then I do. I just try to remember to save the state of my vms before a reboot/shutdown. Not a big deal right now as I am only testing but its something I'd like to resolve if I can.

I do know that even vboxmanage doesn't seem to be able to act upon my vms, not even to list them.

• Yes, Guest Additions... Had long day. Was in court today for custody hearing regarding my daughter.

For vboxmanage try sudo or the user that is running the service:
    sudo -u vbox vboxmanage list vms

or
    su - vbox
    vboxmanage list vms
    exit

• Yes, Guest Additions... Had long day. Was in court today for custody hearing regarding my daughter.

Been there re: custody. Best wishes for that.
    I wasn't trying to nitpick. I know I am a novice and wanted to make sure I understood.

Zitat

su - vbox
    vboxmanage list vms
    exit

This worked.

"service vboxinit stop" and it works fine

For me too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The system should stop the services but obviously it doesn't work correctly. Not sure how the plugin can fix this. It must be something with the vbox init script which we don't maintain. Hopefully this will work better with the virtualbox package in OMV 3.x.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sadly this still persisting
    but it's not related to OMV it's more a VBox issue

even via VBoxManage it's seams impossible to kill the vbox

a hint to kill it is to list your VM via ps
    ps -ef|grep VBox

than kill the process with containing the name of your vBox

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!