VirtualBox not stopping VMs correctly

• OMV 2.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VirtualBox not stopping VMs correctly

Whenever I reboot openmediavault-virtualbox is not suspending the VMs correctly. I have a headless omv nas which has IPMI on it and I have dialed into it while I reboot and watch the shutdown process and it says "Stopping the Virtualbox Kernel modules....failed! (cannot unload module vboxdrv)". I have tried to change the init script to shutdown instead of suspend and it does the same thing. I am newer to linux and dont know how to trace it down any further. I am only running a single VM, WHS2011 because I need blueiris for my webcam DVR. OMV is 2.2.3 and VBOX plugin is 1.3. Thanks in advance! BTW I do have backports kernel installed 3.16 and I did use the button to fix for the backports kernel and it seemed to go ok when I did it with no failure messages.

The post was edited 2 times, last by rebelmaveric19 ().

• This has been an issue with virtualbox for a long time. If you don't have vmtools installed in the VM, it can't shut down the VM either.
      omv 4.1.6 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.16 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.7
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • By "vmtools" do you mean vbox guest additions? If so, then I do. I just try to remember to save the state of my vms before a reboot/shutdown. Not a big deal right now as I am only testing but its something I'd like to resolve if I can.

I do know that even vboxmanage doesn't seem to be able to act upon my vms, not even to list them.
    • The system should stop the services but obviously it doesn't work correctly. Not sure how the plugin can fix this. It must be something with the vbox init script which we don't maintain. Hopefully this will work better with the virtualbox package in OMV 3.x.
      omv 4.1.6 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.16 backports kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.7
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers

Please read this before posting a question.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!