NAS becomes unavailable

• Hello, I am currently running OMV 2.2.3, and over the past couple of weeks the NAS becomes unavailable. I am unable to reach any of the file shares, the web interface, ping, or ssh. To restore connectivity, I pull the power and replug it in, it becomes reachable again. I have gone through the syslog and I am unable to find anything that points me to why this is happening. Any advice as to where to look to find an answer?

• In general, some hardware (ie the network interface) may be doing some powersaving, which could result in the symptoms that you are seeing.

Perhaps try to see if there is a pattern to when the device is losing connectivity - ie perhaps run a continuous ping from another device, or try to SSH in every 12 hours, then 6 hours, etc, etc.. just to get an idea of whether the NAS fails after a period of inactivity.

Other thoughts are that your hardware is failing... especially if your NAS was working reliably and you now have reliability issues.

Perhaps the PSU, OMV OS disk, or (less likely) RAM - I had a home-built NAS (old PC parts that were laying around) and the PSU was failing causing all sorts of bizarre faults.

• all of the parts were brand new as part of the build. How would I check if the NIC is going into power saving mode? Also when this occurs, I connected a monitor and keyboard to the box and I am unable to ping the network. I tried the following commands with no success on a ping:
    service network restart
    ifdown eth0 and ifup eth0

After a restart the machine becomes reachable for some time. Any ideas would be helpful.

• That Guide tells you how to install OMV Extras. OMV Extras gives you access to a lot more 3rd Party plugins other than the core plugins too.

You really need to install it. openmediavault-omvextrasorg

• That Guide tells you how to install OMV Extras. OMV Extras gives you access to a lot more 3rd Party plugins other than the core plugins too.

You really need to install it. openmediavault-omvextrasorg

I understand what it does and I have it installed. I am not sure how it helps with the issue of the system becoming unresponsive.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• It helps you to install the backports kernel. In system / OMV-Extras.org and then click on the Kernel TAB. Then there is button at the top that says "Install backports kernel".

Newer kernels have newer versions of drivers for various hardware devices.

When people are losing connection to the web ui for OMV most of the time it is because there is issue with old driver for their NIC in an older kernel.

• It helps you to install the backports kernel. In system / OMV-Extras.org and then click on the Kernel TAB. Then there is button at the top that says "Install backports kernel".

Newer kernels have newer versions of drivers for various hardware devices.

When people are losing connection to the web ui for OMV most of the time it is because there is issue with old driver for their NIC in an older kernel.

Sorry for the confusion, the back port kernels are installed. I will update the post in a week if the issue has happened again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!