Install on Hype V Problem

• Hello.

I am playing with virtuals, much fun, I have a daphile server running plus two other windows ones.

Now I want to instal OMV, I have two issues,

1. It won't install. It hgets as far as install DVA 33% and sits there, I gave up after half an hour.
    2. I want it all contained in the machine, but I seem to recall that OMV takes up the entire boot disk, how can I get over this as I have allocated 2TB for the machine?

I did a google on point one, there are no 'com' ports on.

Cheers

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Myself and others have installed on hyper-v before. It must be a setting you are using for your VM. You can also try installing Debian Wheezy then OMV on top of it.

2. Create an 10 GB virtual disk for the OS. Once you have installed, then create another large virtual disk for the data.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I can confirm it works on Hyper-v
    rule #1 do not use Generation2 VM

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• I'll give it another go. I would appreciate some tips on the storage side I am very new to this, how do I make OMV see the other virtual disk?

• ok, not sure what exactly do you mean but here it goes.

how did you allocate 2TB for the machine?
    if you created a single virtual disk stop right now. go back and delete it.

here what I have to use as an example. (FYI I only played with OMV in VM in order to test some things before building out a real hardware setup but I do plan to spin up an OMV vm with int virtual box on my real hardware later so I can use some plugins without worry about bring it the whole server down )
    my hyper-v host is my windows 10 64 bit workstation Intel core i5 3.30 GHz 16GB ram. not a real server and have limited resources (relatively as I am running a lot of things on it.) so you might need to adjust some settings according to your hardware.

1. create a gen1 vm with single harddrive, make it about 10GB -20GB as you wish.
    OMV can be installed and used just fine on anything 7GB and over. in my case I have installs using 127GB (default hyper-v drive size) and 240GB. but I was testing some weird configuration and just reused the drives.

2. select install os later and let it create the VM. when done navigate to VM in the manager.
    open setting , my setup uses 2GB ram you can choose what ever you want there
    I also used 2CPU (my CPU is quad-core so I allocate 2 cores for vm)
    Gen1 vm uses IDE controllers for system drive. you get 2 controllers IDE0 and IDE1
    by default first drive is connected to IDE0,
    DVD drive on IDE 1
    make sure you have the network adapter setup.
    select DVD and attach the ISO file to the DVD under Image file option
    click apply

3. in manager click connect to vm and click start.
    it should boot into DVD and install it. just select defaults etc.
    once installed it will eject DVD and reboot.

if the result is non working system try removing the network adapter and adding legacy adapter instead. some hyper-v virtual hardware is not compatible.

once all is installed, shut down vm
    go to settings and add new hard drive or two of any size you want.
    FYI IDE drives are limited to 2TB but you can add drives to the scisi controller. only system ie. bootable drives need to be on IDE.

restart vm
    go to OMV the new drives should be visible in physical disks section and you should be able to create FS on them and mount.

• Hi thanks for that. on the second try it installed and it ran. i shut it down and created a virtual hard disk for it. this morning i try and boot it and it says boot failure, reboot and select proper boot device.

i ejected the iso, and the vm says at this stage its 512 megs.

• Should be a litle more. But I will check when I get to my comp.

Sent from my phone

• Hi. It turns out there was an error between the keyboard and chair.

I had created what I thought was an additional virtual disk, but I had infact replaced the disk with OMV on doh!

What is not my fault however is that OMV installer has become a right pain in the butt. It no longer works for me. I wanted OMV on a virtual for TM backups and on a physical proliant NAS for back up duties for PCS.

In each case and I have tried around 6 times now the GRUB is not being installed on the harddrive, I think its installing it to the thumb drive. so on restart nothing. This is really frustrating as FreeNas installs fine but it a pain in the butt to use.

PLease sort out your install OMV people, for simple folk like me, it simply does not work any more.

• This is a known issue. That is why I prefer to use cd over usb to install omv. There is a bug in omv installer which affects install fron usb. It seams the install looses proper drive references in midst of setup and try to install grub on the very usb you installing from.
    The only work around I have foind was :
    1. When you get the error remove usb and click back and try again.
    At this point in the process you are running from ram so the install disk really is not needed.
    Or
    2. Install from. CD. It works on vm since we using cd iso. But real hardware is a pain.

I had to rebuild my setup 6 times last week before I foind a thread here describing similar behavior and just choose to switch to usb cdrom for install.

Sent from my phone

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

PLease sort out your install OMV people, for simple folk like me, it simply does not work any more.

Been fixed in OMV 3.x for a long time (shows menu allowing you to pick which drive to install bootloader on).

For OMV 2.x, just remove the usb stick during the bootloader process and plug it back in. This is not really a bug. Not all computers have this issue. Just computers that assign sda to the installer usb stick (which most systems don't seem to do).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Been fixed in OMV 3.x for a long time (shows menu allowing you to pick which drive to install bootloader on).

For OMV 2.x, just remove the usb stick during the bootloader process and plug it back in. This is not really a bug. Not all computers have this issue. Just computers that assign sda to the installer usb stick (which most systems don't seem to do).

well I can attest to the fact that OMV 2.2.3 have this issue.
    in fact my 6 times attempt to setup 2.3 on my SuperMicro Opteron server (it is kind of old but very capable) prove tha.
    also it really seams like a bug. here is why.
    when I was setting up my server, I burn install to USB, boot up the server and go trough install.
    since I had 2 SSD drives plugged in the install ask me what to use for install.
    funny thing is for the first 2 times,my usb flash was not even shown on the prompt screen, all I saw were 2 SSDs sda and sdb. nothing else. when it came to grub first time I just got an error saying it could not put grub on sda... WTF I know I choose sda to install to as it was my Intel SSD (according to drivve prompt screen)
    other times I did choose sdb and still got message it could not install grub on sda, even though I specifically choose sdb as my install target. several more tries I clicked back and got prompted to choose where to install grub and I specifically said I want what ever the install drive was at the time install started. no luck.
    it does not make sense for an installer to loose track of what drive is a source and what is the target.
    we are not even rebooting in midst of install, it is all continues process. so drive letter assignment should not even change.

and any other setups do not have this problem. in the last year I had went through multiple installs of different distributions as I was looking for OS to use on my home media/file/virtual server.
    I tried CentOS 6/7 in various configs, Proxmox 4.0 and 4.1, debian 6.7/7 and even beta of 8, Open SUSE 13.1/13.2
    some custom distros like NethServer, Rockstore , to name a few.
    I have seen nothing like this. there where other issues sure, some of them would not even install from a USB stick.
    but nothing would start the install and than decide ohh... I want to drop the grub not on the disk I was installing onto but the one I am installing from.

don't get me wrong I like what OMV is doing over all, it come a long way.
    but there are bugs here and there, whether you like it or not :-).
    and they come up in the strangest time.

• Been fixed in OMV 3.x for a long time (shows menu allowing you to pick which drive to install bootloader on).

Hi thanks for this.

When I click on latest download for OMV I am presented with version 2, so naturally I assumed this was the latest version, perhaps you need to update the website?

• OK I see that 3 is beta, I cannot do anything without some complaint about dirty json regions or something.

I'll move to another solution for now.

Cheers folks.

• you don't have to move to another solution, just use CD to install the OMV
    if your hardware does not have built in drive get a usb cdrom and use that.
    it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The dirty regions error is a bug in PHP on debian wheezy according to volker. It is easily fixed with:

echo "[]" > /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json

And you can always install Debian Wheezy to get around the installer problem if unplugging the USB stick doesn't work. It is very easy to install OMV after installing Debian.

Once OMV 3.x is stable, all of these issues are gone.

• unplugging usb works, but in my case I was using IPMI so I plugged the usb into the server and went into my office to continue setup. when error hit I had to go down to the basement to unplug the damn thing
    CD works perfectly and it even eject it at the end. so why bother. who dose not have a external cd/dvd drive nowadays?

hope I can do an in-place upgrade to v3. it would be PITA to do it all over from the scratch.

• Offizieller Beitrag

unplugging usb works, but in my case I was using IPMI so I plugged the usb into the server and went into my office to continue setup. when error hit I had to go down to the basement to unplug the damn thing
    CD works perfectly and it even eject it at the end. so why bother. who dose not have a external cd/dvd drive nowadays?

hope I can do an in-place upgrade to v3. it would be PITA to do it all over from the scratch.

Why even use a CD? You can mount an ISO via IPMI and never go near your server :)

Yes, you can do an in-place upgrade.

• sorry but I cannot.
    my server is older Supermicro SC846 MB: H8DME-2 Updated BIOS v3.5
    all of my machines at home are Linux. and the only utility (from SM) that will let me mount over IPMI is windows based
    even web interface will not mount anything on Linux machines.
    if you can recommend any soft that will work please do.
    as it is now I have found a port for the SM utility to Linux that works for most of the stuff except remote mount.
    it looks and feel just like the windows apps, has the options for virtual cd and iso mount but simply will not work.

when I run windows shop couple of years back it was a peas of cake. now somethings are a bit more complicated :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!