[Help] Plex transcoding one video on an Avoton C2750(?) is eating nearly all the cpu time

• This is a very recent build and I think I've somewhat screwed myself by going with the Avoton C2750 instead of a Haswell i3 but still, I think it should be able to handle concurrent 1080p transcodes?

As for the C2750, I went with the recommendation based on a thread I was reading but I now suspect that it was an old thread. Other people had been saying that it was better for running lots of parallel workloads than the Haswell i3 so I just went with it. I think it may have been the wrong idea and now I'm stuck with it.

I also discovered, after it had been in my possession for slightly longer than the newegg return policy that the box says C2750 but the board itself says C2550. Newegg are, of course, refusing to take it back because I noticed on the 35th day, when they only gave me 28 days to spot it. Little bit annoyed about that. However, when I check the cpuid it says C2750. So ... I'm a tad confused by that.

So ... does this look like the right amount of cpu time being used to transcode a single stream for a C2750? Do I even have a C2750?

• Edit 2: I've just discovered about throttled transcoding in plex. Seems it is doing the throttled thing so that's a good start and I shouldn't worry about raw performance. Still miffed about the C2550/C2750 thing, though.

• Didn't read it all. Is this for local playback? Why is it not streaming or direct playing. Or is this remote, or mobile device, playback?

My sister is streaming to her chromecast, on the other side of the Pacific.

• Thought I could help if Plex was transcoding when playing videos locally. When your sister is watching remotely like that you will likely need a more powerful cpu. It doesn't have to be a new cpu. I still am using a AMD 615e and it works really well. But the cpu should have a passmark score of at least 2800 I think. The higher benchmark the better when transcoding. Also, do not use SSL connections. The encryption really kills remote viewing.

• Your htop is showing 8 cores - which a C2750 CPU has.

If you had a C2550 CPU you would only have 4 cores.

I have an ASRock C2550D4I board - 4 cores, as can be seen in the attached htop.

• Your htop is showing 8 cores - which a C2750 CPU has.

If you had a C2550 CPU you would only have 4 cores.

I have an ASRock C2550D4I board - 4 cores, as can be seen in the attached htop.

This is the ASRock C2750D4I board, as can be seen by the 8 cores and confirmed by this:

So yeah, I have been a little bit confused by this board so far.

• Thanks for that. Super unscientific testing seems to suggest that it's not getting too hot and that it can handle a couple of streams just fine so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Should I enable the backports kernel? What difference would that make?

• I believe the C2550D4I and C2750D4I boards are identical except for the part number stenciling and the installed CPU.

ASRock may not have had any C2750D4I boards when they needed them and substituted the other board instead. The CPU is correct and you said the box it came in was correct. Two out of three aint bad :)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I believe the C2550D4I and C2750D4I boards are identical except for the part number stenciling and the installed CPU.

ASRock may not have had any C2750D4I boards when they needed them and substituted the other board instead. The CPU is correct and you said the box it came in was correct. Two out of three aint bad :)

:D

• c2550d4i is the 4 core variant of the c2750 (8 core).. it seems like you got jipped. I would escalate this further with newegg and threaten a BBB filing. They blatantly sold you the wrong product.

Anyway, the c2750 is extremely powerful, it should easily be able to handle 2-3 1080p transcodes. The c2758 is also a good option (rangely) variant.

• The OP did NOT get jipped.

htop reports eight cores not four. The board is stenciled with the wrong part number, that's all.

Did you look at the screen capture in the first post?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• i have the 2750 board and can confirm multiple streams will work through this CPU with no issues, the one thing with plex is if you have thumbnails on, it will make your plex content buffer regardless as it batters the resources. make sure this is turned off if you dont need it.

• Hello guys,

I have the C2750 (AsROCK C2750D4I).
    Most of the time I use Plex on my PC which is connected to a TV and I cast Plex on Plex Home Theater so no transcoding. Therefore I sometimes use transcoding to cast directly to my Chromecast.
    I've noticed that when I cast it to my Chromecast the CPU is really maxed out. I only look at full BluRay remuxed so maybe it is not strong enough?

I should do some testing again because I don't use my Chromecast that often tbh ...

• You guys should look closely at the client settings you are using. I had some issues with the default settings on local/remote playback with the Fire TV. Compare notes. Everyone tell exactly the clients you are using and experiment with different settings on the clients. I put some notes in the Guide section on the Fire TV. I looked at the benchmarks on the cpu in that board and it seems it should be doing a lot better than what I see in the OP's 1st post.

• i have the 2750 board and can confirm multiple streams will work through this CPU with no issues, the one thing with plex is if you have thumbnails on, it will make your plex content buffer regardless as it batters the resources. make sure this is turned off if you dont need it.

What do you mean by "thumbnails"?

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!