Best backup/redundancy option for my set-up

• Hi everyone,

I'm new to OMV. I'm using it on a rig that's not that powerful: a FUJITSU SIEMENS ESPRIMO E5730

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
    2GB DDR2 800Mhz
    1 x Gigabit LAN
    1 x 80GB WD HDD -- OMV installation
    1 x 1TB Samsung HDD -- two 500GB NTFS partitions
    1 x 3TB WD HDD -- one ext4 partition

The 3TB WD HDD is an external USB3.0 HDD connected to a USB3-PCI Express card as the motherboard didn't have native USB3.0 chipset.

I'm looking for help/suggestions regarding the best options to achieve the storage configuration that I have in mind:

I want to set up a single 1TB partition on the 1TB Samsung HDD that will be replicated on a 1TB partition on the 3TB WD HDD for redundancy. This partition will hold important data, like some of my old files that I've backed up over the last few years and are currently on the 2 500GB partitions. There are many files, typically small, that won't change very often. I'd also like to use this new partition for backup from my laptop with crashplan and mobile devices with maybe OwnCloud or BTSync. Ideally, this partition would be encrypted. The 3TB hard drive will have a remaining 2TB partition for media, movies/TV episodes which I think will be enough for my needs. I usually delete them after watching.

What will be my best options to achieve this set-up with a replicated 1TB partition across two HDDs? Is RAID possible between one HDD and a partition from another HDD? Is SnapRAID a better option? Maybe just Rsync running during night time to keep the partitions in sync? Also what filesystem would be best?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was going to suggest rsync... I think that would be easiest. I've used rsync in a similar manner for a couple of years and have been quite happy with it. It's a little quirky getting the scheduling right to time your syncs... but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. With your data changing so rarely though.. you could set it to run once, maybe twice a day... and you'd be good.

• Thanks. Rsync does sound like the easiest option. Is it also the most performant of the three? If I want encryption with LUKS, I guess I'll have to encrypt the partitions separately.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!