OMV Rebuild RAID1 Recovery

• Hi,

I have my OMV built on a USB drive at the moment and want to rebuild the OS on an SSD.

I'm using a HP NL54 server and have two drives in RAID1 using the standard software RAID within OMV.

Could anyone tell me whether I can recover the RAID1 drive once I've rebuilt the system, or is there a procedure I can follow to do this if I rebuild the OS?

Thanks
    Mike

• Not exactly sure what you mean.
    Do you mean you have a data array on raid1?
    If so, I belive all you need is to disconnect the raid drives before rebuild so you accidently not destroy one, setup omv on ssd. And onec all is up akd running plugin the raid drives back. On my test setup raid was just there once I restarted.
    Omv starts the md system on boot and search for raid.
    If you can, do a vm build and see for your self.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• PS. It worked for me even when I build out a raid1 system disk setup.

Sent from my phone

• Hi thanks for that.

So just to clarify, I don't know very much about RAID, so apologies if my questions my seem a bit confusing.

What I'm asking is if I take two physical hard drives that have been created as a RAID1 array (with data on them from a previous installation of OMV), and install them into a new installation of OMV, will I be able to recover the RAID1 array on the new installation of OMV?

So in my mind I'm not sure if the RAID1 configuration is stored locally on each physical hard drive, or whether it is completely stored and managed in software by the OS. If the answer is the former, then I guess I can take the drives into a new installation of OMV with no issues; because the RAID1 configuration is local to the physical drives and not the OS itself?

Any clarification on this would be really appreciated.

Cheers

• I am not entirely sure, but I do believe that there is enough metadata on each drive for os to rebuild the set. Also since it is a raid 1 , you should be able to mount any of the disks in degraded array to get the data off.
    Anyways in my experience it works. Just load the os, install mdadm tools, in case of omv it is already there, and attach the drives.

Sent from my phone

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!