Snapraid+mergerfs strategy

• Hi,
    I'm looking to get some confirmation for my storage strategy from some of the experts here. I currently have the following setup:
    - HP N54L Microserver (4 bays)
    - 1TB + 2TB = 1TB RAID1 for data (mostly owncloud synced storage, personal photos, transmission downloads)
    - 3TB for media (films and TV shows, music, no redundancy)

I've just ordered another 3Tb drive. My first intention was to set up a RAID5 array
    - 2TB + 3TB + 3TB = 4TB RAID5 for data and media
    - 1TB for backup

However, I've been reading about RAID5 and Snapraid and pooling, and have been thinking that RAID5 might not be a wise choice for redundancy.

Can I do something like this with Snapraid and Mergerfs ?
    - 1TB + 2TB + 3TB as snapraid data disks/under mergerfs = a single 6TB pool
    - 3TB snapraid parity disk

If I go this route, should I create the 6TB mergerfs pool first and then apply snapraid, or do I create the snapraid array first and then apply mergerfs to the data disks ?
    Can I pool disks that already have data on them with mergerfs without losing the data, or does mergerfs wipe the drives ?
    Will a 3TB parity disk be enough for the 6TB mergerfs pool ?
    Will my data be recoverable if any of those drives dies?
    Can I later grow the array by just sticking a new 3TB in place of the old 1TB drive?
    Is the data easily readable on the individual data drives if the NAS dies and I want to just plug them individually into any old PC that doesn't have mergerfs and snapraid?

I plan to run the snapraid backup every night. Since snapraid is mostly for large multimedia files, should I exclude owncloud synced data and transmission temporary files from the snapraid backup, or will I just lose the latest non-backed-up versions of those files if something goes wrong with a drive (which is acceptable for me) ?

Thanks for the input.

• Sounds like you are building the same thing I just finished.
    My final config. Is 2x3tb drives for parity , 4x2tb pluds 2x1tb drives for data all snapraided and a mergerfs pool is created.
    Consensus is that mergerfs and snap raid are totaly independent and you can set them up in any order, but I did the snap raid first and then mergerfs pool.
    Again all info I got says meegerfs can pool drives with data but I went the longer route and biuld and expand pool on empty drives. In my case it was becaues I had. Couple of btrfs raid pools thay I wanted to move to new setup.
    So I got a new 3tb drive setup snapraid on 3x2tb using 3tb as parity, created mergerfs pool on data disks amd moved data from raided volumes to new pool. Than clear up the raid, repatriation now.empty drives and added them to the snapraid and mergerfs pool.
    My existing 3tb drive that was part of btrfs raid volume become secknd parity. Others addes as data.

Sent from my phone

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!