Plex Transcoding On ODROID XU4

• I recently acquired an ODROID XU4 to upgrade my OpenMediaVault server from a Raspberry Pi 3. I primarily use it for Plex, and based on this thread:

My Odroid XU4 build

I believe I should be able to enable transcoding so I don't have to build my Plex library from encoded files. Whenever I try the directions referenced in the thread, on this site:

http://www.htpcguides.com/fix-…enough-on-raspberry-pi-2/

It seems to kill the Plex server ("red dot" on dashboard indicating services not running). I've tried both the "automatic" and "manual" methods (using the < 0.9.14 directions, since the OMV plugin comes with 0.9.12), and neither works. (UPDATE: This, at least, no longer happens. See posts below.) I've also tried manually upgrading the Plex server software following Method 3 in these directions (which worked fine on my RPi 3):

http://www.htpcguides.com/inst…server-on-raspberry-pi-2/

Thinking that maybe that would work, but the upgrade itself kills the Plex server then (again, "red dot" in OMV dashboard and service not running).

I'm really not sure where to start troubleshooting and would appreciate any help you can provide.

Odroid XU4
    8TB Main Data | 3x3TB Backup Data
    OMV 5.6.2-1
    Docker | Plex | MergerFS | Rsync

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jarodmerle ()

• Well, today following the directions (both the "automated" and "manual" methods) at the link above, it at least isn't killing the server, but it also still gives me the error about not being powerful enough to transcode media. Not sure why it's behaving differently today, but at least I don't have to uninstall/reinstall after trying this time :). The weirdest thing is, and the reason I wanted to start trying again, is that now it's giving me the "not powerful enough" error on media that should be able to Direct Play. I've basically encoded all of my media as basic H.264 in MP4 containers, and until today none had been a problem. (UPDATE - Figured out why this particular instance was happening; PEBKAC.)

Anyway, in response to your questions:

Zitat

Try systemctl status plexmediaserver.service

When I try this command (I assume that's what it is, I guess), I just get "-bash: systemctl: command not found". I'm not familiar with "systemctl" but I tried an "apt-get install systemctl" and I guess it isn't available on apt.

Regarding the logs:

Nothing useful seems to be appearing in "plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs". The latest entry in any of the files is from two days ago.

Appreciate your help! Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jarodmerle ()

• Monday night bump. Still looking for help if there's anyone out there to offer it :).

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• I tried it on my C1+ 6 months ago. The transcoding message problem was still there with the automated script so in the end i gave up. I don't remember if i was able to understand which was the modification needed to avoid that message though.
    As soon as plex plugin will hit 3.0.20 i'll give it a try.

• I don't think any ARM based device will be capable of transcoding. What are the client devices ?If you use an RPI2 with Rasplex to view Plex, the server won't need to transcode anything.

• I tried it on my C1+ 6 months ago. The transcoding message problem was still there with the automated script so in the end i gave up. I don't remember if i was able to understand which was the modification needed to avoid that message though.
    As soon as plex plugin will hit 3.0.20 i'll give it a try.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one at least :). I haven't ventured into OMV 3.0 yet. It works fine with Direct Play, so I"m at the "give up" point as well, but it would be nice to figure it out. Have you been able to upgrade your Plex Server successfully?

I don't think any ARM based device will be capable of transcoding. What are the client devices ?If you use an RPI2 with Rasplex to view Plex, the server won't need to transcode anything.

I've read some posts saying that it can, and others saying that it can't across various message boards. I don't have a need to transcode, per se, but it would just be nice to not have to encode everything. I guess I'm a little weird, but I like to keep the un-encoded files, so that I don't have to re-rip things if some better/fancier/sexier encoding comes around one day.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• Yes, but the need to transcode depends mainly on the client that you're using to view the videos. If you use Rasplex on an RPI or Plex Home Theater on a PC, then you will never need to transcode. If you're using mobile devices, consoles, or remote connections, then you will need to either transcode or reencode your files.

• Sure, I understand the difference certainly. I am, primarily, streaming to Amazon FireTV boxes in my setup, but the same thing occurs streaming to a Windows laptop.

What's particularly odd to me, and perhaps pertinent to the discussion, is that my BluRay rips to MKV Direct Play just fine to the FireTV boxes, but DVD rips seem to require transcoding. A good example is that I have both a BluRay and DVD rip of the movie Frozen (I have a three year old :)). As MKVs the BluRay will play just fine (Direct Play, no transcoding required), but the DVD rip will not. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with my issue here?

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• I also have problems with my plex server. I use an ODROID XU4 device where I have my NAS and the error saying that the server is not powerful enough to transcode is there no matter what do I try to avoid it, this happend when I send the video locally to my chromecast.

I also tryed the raspberry pi2 solution mentioned above without success.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

Regards.

• I can confirm, that the Odroid XU4 is powerful enough to transcode one or even two streams.

I've testet it with 1080p 4:2:0 high h264 Bitrate over 2000kpbs and 5.1dts MKV material. Transcoded into 720p 3mpbs for web the CPU was around 50-60%.

I wrote a guide how to enable transcoding with omv and plex plugin, but in german. http://prezer.de/odroid-xu4-un…dia-server-transcoding-17

OMV2 on Odroid XU4 with nginx as Reverse Proxy with Let's Encrypt, Plex (with Transcoding), SABnzbd and Tonido Cloud

• Update:
    I experienced some Problems with Plex Transcoding on recent Openmediavault 2.2.14 with Plex 0.9.12.4 on Odroid XU4.

The Problem occurs because Plex Transcoder depending on libm.so from glibc / libc6 to be greater equal 2.15. Although Plex (from omv-extras repo) comes with libm.so in version 2.19, this version is not Odroid XU4 compatible!

This is how to fix:

get and extract (libc6-armhf-cross_2.15-0ubuntu9cross1.82_all.deb for 12.04 LTS) OR( libm-2.15.so directly)

mkdir libc6-2.15-ubuntu
    dpkg -x libc6-armhf-cross_2.15-0ubuntu9cross1.82_all.deb libc6-2.15-ubuntu/

Copy

cp libc6-2.15-ubuntu/usr/arm-linux-gnueabihf/lib/libm-2.15.so /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/
    ln -s /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/libm.so.6 /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/libm-2.15.so

Rename Transcoders and create scripts

mv "Plex New Transcoder" "Plex New Transcoder Original"
    mv "Plex Transcoder" "Plex Transcoder Original"

vi "Plex New Transcoder"
    Content:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/
    exec /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plex New Transcoder Original "$@"

vi "Plex Transcoder"
    Content:
    #!/bin/sh
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/
    exec /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources/Plex Transcoder Original "$@"

Change Rights
    chmod a+x "Plex New Transcoder" "Plex Transcoder"

Restart
    service plexmediaserver restart

This Guide is also avalible in German on my hp: https://prezer.de/odroid-xu4-u…-openmediavault-2-22.html

OMV2 on Odroid XU4 with nginx as Reverse Proxy with Let's Encrypt, Plex (with Transcoding), SABnzbd and Tonido Cloud

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von xai ()

• Hey, since you are only person anywhere who seems to actually understand how plex transcoder work. Do you think it will work on rock64?

After short view on the specs of "rock64", it should work with the same tweaks which are necessary for odroid xu4.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!