How to run OMV and XBMC at the same time on N40L

• Hey guys!

I'm about to set up my new HP N40L Microserver.
    Got the 250GB N40L, + additional RAM (8GB) , + ATI HD6450

My goal is to run OMV for all the NAS functionality. Thats not a big deal I guess... but here comes the critical point: For massive eye candyness i'd like to run XMBC on it and connect it via HDMI to my TV (thats why I ordered the HD6450).
    Is there any way to achieve this?

I have a couple of possible solutions for this ... maybe I'm missing something.
    Option 1 - Install ESXI 5.1 - Run 1.Virtual Machine for OMV and 2nd one for Windows/Linux+XBMC
    Option 2 - Install Ubuntu (Server) - Configure all the shares via SMB/NFS etc. + Install XMBC on it (obviously without OMV :/ )

Option 3 is you guys. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
    So I want the N40L to be the server for the media shares, as well as some kind of HTPC at the same time.

I'd appreciate for any help!
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can install xbmc on OMV. No need for VMs (which would hurt performance) or Ubuntu.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess xbmc is a little tougher to install on OMV than I thought. Testing it in a VM now. You have to add the deb-multimedia repository and deb-multimedia backports repository. I think you still end up with an older XBMC (version 10, I think).

Steps so far:

I may also try install Debian Wheezy and OMV on top of that to see if I can get a newer version of XBMC.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• So after my first tests with OMV @ N40L I have to say : sweeeeet....

The key problem is, that I want the N40L to be an HTPC.. thats why I need XMBC on it.
    Did you find anything on installing the recent Xbmc version?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, to get a newer xbmc, I think you have to have newer libraries than Squeeze has and you would have to compile xbmc on squeeze. I can't find anyone doing that. I think you might have better luck install Debian Wheezy (xbmc 11 is in repository) and then OMV. xbmc 12 frodo is still a release candidate so I don't know if that will end up in the Wheezy repository or not.

It would much simpler to use the N40L as your server and use a set top box (WD TV live for example) :)

• Yeah i agree the same i have a N40L as well and it runs OMV + sickbeard, couchpotato, transmission , headphones.

You buy two cheap usb tv sticks TDT, cable whatever you flavor is and run tvheadend

more info about xmbc backend servers here:
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend

Then use a jailbroken appletv or xbox, boxee or any cheap android with xbmc to connect to your television.

NOTE:
    btw this takes a long time to setup and have it the way you want but once you have this its all automatic and you just have to watch and listen to it all.

EDIT: my next project is a Raspberry Pi with xbian as frontend nice cheap solution

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!