QNAP TS-459+/Pro with OMV

• Hi, this is a repost from elsewhere [1] - TL;DR at home for years now I have been using an older QNAP TS-459+ with 2 GB and 4 drives RAID5 that worked with the vendor-supplied QNAP shrink-linux and busybox, and I've had it with that. I wanted up to date packages, a full linux so backed up everything and replaced QTS with a nice and smooth OMV. That is why I am here now. :)

That QNAP device is x86_64, has a miniITX board, dual GB-LAN, USB and eSATA and overall okay hardware specs for a home server. So getting started was easy as pie, including fancontrol and such. OMV appears to be very well done!

Some requirements and services I had set up before transitioning to OMV:

• AFP, NFS, SMB/CIFS file server
    • per-user permissions for those files
    • TimeMachine backup
    • DLNA server to use contents on streaming clients in the home network (a smart TV, and other devices)
    • storage used is around 3TB of data (music, photos, handful of ISO files)
    • a teensy web server serving static pages only

Moreover I had

• ipkg-installed goodies like dovecot, postfix, an additional and customized SSHd, version control software, Apache
    • a Minecraft server running with < 10 users
    • used to have a remote sync setup via ssh and rsync, but no MTRR
    • wanted to use Owncloud or similar I'd want to have MariaDB setup, but vendor policy denied us access to the system MariaDB

So, while expecting little difficulty in the process I would invite discussion about similar projects and experiences with other similarly small-scane QNAP-built devices here.

[1] http://qnap.community/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=200

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been running OMV on my QNAP TS-451 for over a year now. I upgraded the memory to 8gb and replaced the 512 mb usb header flash card with 8gb unit from eBay. Works well. Since it has an hdmi port, it really wasn't much different than installing on any other system.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ryecoaaron

I also have a TS-451 on which I would like to install OMV - but would like some help please if you have a few moments....

• Can you give me a link on ebay to a suitable DOM flash card?
    • Can you please outline the flashing procedure?
    • Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of?
    • Is it always possible to reinstate the original DOM flash card to revert to QTS software?

My reasons for wanting to do this are the absence of unionfs and snapRAID in QTS - What were yours?

thanks

n

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just a note... The TS-451 is a normal amd64 system. It has an hdmi out and you can probably install anything on it.

Can you give me a link on ebay to a suitable DOM flash card?

You don't need a DOM. You could install it on a hard drive or plug a usb stick/hard drive in to it. Otherwise, just find a usb device that plugs into a 10 pin motherboard header. Static wear leveling is nice. I couldn't find one like mine on eBay.

Can you please outline the flashing procedure?

There is no flashing procedure. You install just like any other x86 system. Write the ISO to a usb stick and install.

Are there any gotchas I need to be aware of?

The original DOM is glued to the board. I upgraded the ram. Depending on your use you may need to. It doesn't use anything special.

Is it always possible to reinstate the original DOM flash card to revert to QTS software?

Plug it back in and set the bios to boot from it.

My reasons for wanting to do this are the absence of unionfs and snapRAID in QTS - What were yours?

You are asking an OMV developer why he wanted OMV on the device? :D I try to put OMV on everything I can install Debian on. OMV runs great on the TS-451.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Didn't realise you were the developer

I develop plugins and started omv-extras. I don't actually develop OMV itself.

• @ryecoaaron

A couple more questions please about OMV on TS-451 series..

1) Do the front panel indicator lights works as normal with OMV - and does the quick copy button still work?

2) Have you seen the new(ish) TS-451A with the quick access front USB port? I presume that non standard hardware like that is not currently supported with OMV? Do you know how it works?

thanks

n

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do the front panel indicator lights works as normal with OMV

Yep, I think all of them do. Rarely look at them.

does the quick copy button still work

There is a quick copy button on it? Didn't know that. No, it won't work.

Have you seen the new(ish) TS-451A with the quick access front USB port?

Just looked it up. Looks like a host port so that the unit can act as an external hard drive.

I presume that non standard hardware like that is not currently supported with OMV?

Not sure but the QNAP OS is Linux. So, it might work.

Do you know how it works?

Nope.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!