Abandoned plugins

• Offizieller Beitrag

is it possible to get the wakealarm feature working on OMV 3 other than the way over the plugin (what is discontinued)?

I ported the plugin and put it in the testing repo.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey Guys,

Just got a fresh install of 3.0.59 on 4.9.0 Backports.

All the plugins I tend to use have been working well, credit to those guys who have been updating them for the new version.

I've just tried out virtualbox and it seems to be giving me some issues, not sure if I am missing something, when I install the plugin and try and start it, the service doesn't start and I get the error:

Any Ideas? Is this related to the versioning of the system/plugin?

• I'm done with the following (some may be ported 3.0 and some might not):

• openmediavault-wordpress
    • openmediavault-roundcube
    • openmediavault-extplorer
    • openmediavault-offlineimap
    • openmediavault-postgresql
    • openmediavault-links
    • openmediavault-greyhole
    • openmediavault-calibre

I would gladly pay to support you guys keep making there awesome plugins available.

Has there been discussions regarding setting up something like "Patreon" or some other form of support? You can look over to other side to other open source projects that have build around them quite nice plugin market - like Wordpress.

Wordpress is free but plugin market is huge...

So is there anyway that we (users) can help you (plugin developers) to keep making these awesome plugins? I would pay in a heartbeat for greyhole, zfs and plex... and probably others.

Wordpress themes and plugins usually are get 12 months of free updates for them, and then you still can use them but just don't get new updates.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need a marketplace even for free things. That is what repos are for. If someone doesn't want to add their plugin to omv-extras, they could always host their own repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• There will be no marketplace for plugins, OMV is free.

But even developers need to eat and drink. There is no moral/legal reason for still making OMV free as in beer and as in speech, while having plugins sponsored or payed by supporters/users.

For me OMV is of no use without zfs and grayhole features, so I would gladly pay if that keeps these plugins still available in repos.

I have no knowledge or skills to develop plugins, but my day job earns me enough surplus to reward few open source projects each month, and I would gladly donate to OMV if it continues being useful (zfs + grayhole) to me.

Is there a better solution to donating money? Money is definitely not magic solution and sometimes even has negative influence in some projects, but most successful open source projects have found a balance with accepting donations in order "to keep lights on" so to say... and even pay one or two full time developers...

Ones that don't find this balance usually die out as motivation of original developer or team of developers dries out...

Cheers,
    Valent.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ones that don't find this balance usually die out as motivation of original developer or team of developers dries out...

I'm not sure what motivates me but it isn't money. Not sure what Volker receives in donations but donations to omv-extras are very rare. Money does help buy additional hardware (in my case - sd cards, RPis, odroids, etc) to support omv development. Been running omv-extras for 4+ years and been on the forums since almost the beginning of OMV. No plans to stop.

By the way, I haven't ported greyhole to OMV 3.x and it is on my list of plugins that I wasn't going to maintain anymore. Do you use it mainly for the pooling?

• By the way, I haven't ported greyhole to OMV 3.x and it is on my list of plugins that I wasn't going to maintain anymore. Do you use it mainly for the pooling?

I just installed OMV3 for the first time after listening to Linux Action show do a review on in and how it compares to FreeBSD. I had Linux Raid-5 server for over 10 years and once raid field got corrupted all data was lost on it.

So having Grayhole (or anythine similar to it) that on 4 drive server would keep 4 copies of critical data and where 3 copied could die and I still wouldn't loose any data seams like a magic to me :)

So I'm new to OMV and Greyhole but this seams like perfect solution for storage and backup, much flexible and secure that Raid-5 for sure...

• Offizieller Beitrag

So having Grayhole (or anythine similar to it) that on 4 drive server would keep 4 copies of critical data and where 3 copied could die and I still wouldn't loose any data seams like a magic to me

So I'm new to OMV and Greyhole but this seams like perfect solution for storage and backup, much flexible and secure that Raid-5 for sure...

Look at the rsnapshot plugin. I use it and it is awesome.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a guide to making plugins? I'd like to try to make some.

https://github.com/skyajal/diypluginguide3.x

I would also look at the source of other plugins:
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers
    https://github.com/OpenMediaVault/openmediavault

And I will have you added to the dev forum.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was the Plex Plugin also given up? Or is there a chance for updates in near future?

I don't think it's completely abandoned (the repository is still there)... but it's been suggested for a while now that setting up Plex in Docker would be the more appropriate path to using Plex.

• @KM201
    i'm using a big Plex installation with lot of custom configurations and a big database. I'm afraid of moving this into a docker. :/;(
    Also i read a lot about problems with Transcoding (and some other things) insite a Docker Container in Plex Forum. X/:S
    So maybe i will wait and hope for Updates. :thumbup::saint::whistling:

Anyway, thank you for feedback, at least i know the actual situation.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was the Plex Plugin also given up? Or is there a chance for updates in near future?

There is no chance for me to work on it. So, that means there is little to no chance for updates.

what?! I don't like this piece of shitty software named "Docker".Common' guys, Plex is one of the last reasons I'm still using OMV!

You shouldn't like the shitty plugin (yes, I wrote it) either. While I don't understand why you don't like docker, there is nothing keeping you from installing the plex package on OMV. You just won't have the plugin to enable/disable it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!