Abandoned plugins

• why I don't like docker: too much overhead, too much potential of data loss, too less separation from the host, too many possibilities to loose data and crash the whole system. I like LXC.
    May you write a guide to keep plex up to date on our own?

• Offizieller Beitrag

too much overhead

Docker has less overhead than just about anything out there including LXC.

too much potential of data loss

If you setup your volumes/bind mounts, you shouldn't lose data anymore than native.

too less separation from the host

Sometimes this is a good thing.

I am not the right one to do that. I don't use plex and don't like it either. If you just enable the repo and install the plex package, updates will show up in the Updates tab. This does not apply to arm systems and I want no part of doing anything plex on those.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

why I don't like docker: too much overhead, too much potential of data loss, too less separation from the host, too many possibilities to loose data and crash the whole system. I like LXC.

No disrespect... but you could have summed this up with..

Why I don't like docker: I'm misinformed.

None of what you said there is accurate (with some of it outright outlandish). It took me a while to finally decide to give docker a try... now that I have... It's my go to to add just about any feature to my NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

i'm using a big Plex installation with lot of custom configurations and a big database. I'm afraid of moving this into a docker.
    Also i read a lot about problems with Transcoding (and some other things) insite a Docker Container in Plex Forum.
    So maybe i will wait and hope for Updates

Why not just set up Plex in a container in parallal. Just to play and see if you get everything to work as expected. You can point the container to a seperate media folder to not mess up with your existing installation.

• No disrespect... but you could have summed this up with..
    Why I don't like docker: I'm misinformed.

None of what you said there is accurate (with some of it outright outlandish). It took me a while to finally decide to give docker a try... now that I have... It's my go to to add just about any feature to my NAS.

No I gave docker for a few times a try. Two times I needed to reinstall OMV since some Background Docker Processes consumed a lot CPU power without any container running and some other times I lost some data. And since my main server is running with Proxmox and Docker can't run without workarounds on Proxmox and since LXC are easy to install and everything, my way to go is with LXC. OMV is just used as fileserver and as the only service running I'm using Plex, because both servers have the same Octacore CPU.

@ryecoaaron: In Plex I have the info "a new version is available". But in the update window of OMV no Plex-update can be seen. How can I update it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

In Plex I have the info "a new version is available". But in the update window of OMV no Plex-update can be seen. How can I update it?

If the plex repo is enabled and you have clicked Check in the Updates tab but still see no plex update, then you can't (yet). Since I don't use plex, I don't know how their updates work but evidently, they put updates in whatever the program checks but not in their repo at the same time. So, I would imagine you just have to wait until it is in their repo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• It seems they working currently on their repo (read it in Forum). Also my Plex told me i have to install the Update manual.

I have downloaded the latest Plex .deb and installed it manual. It seems all to work without any issues so far.

• I probably should have made my own threat about this but I have gotten the impression that the openmediavault-plexmediaserver plugin have been abandon so I just thought why not ask here.

I think the plugin is great and that why I have updated it on my own, but I have run into a issue now. I can only install this plugin if the omv-extras plugin is used to enable the repositories. But what does it actually do when I enables the Plex repository through the omv-extras plugin. I would love to have this plugin independent from the omv-extras so maybe doing something with a preinst script in the deb package that does the same thing that omv-extras plugin do.

I have made a fork of the plugin here:

https://github.com/henkall/openmediavault-plexmediaserver

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would love to have this plugin independent from the omv-extras

Why?

ut what does it actually do when I enables the Plex repository through the omv-extras plugin

It adds the official plex repo (on amd64 and i386) and the omv-extras plex bintray repo to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list and installs the plex signing key. I also had to keep plexmediaserver-installer in the bintray repo for armhf and arm64.

While I am all for people working on plugins, this is one plugin I don't think needs to exist. Looking through your changes, you didn't change the code that can cause the most problems. The iframes code in the plugin is terrible as well and really shouldn't be used.

• No I gave docker for a few times a try. Two times I needed to reinstall OMV since some Background Docker Processes consumed a lot CPU power without any container running and some other times I lost some data. And since my main server is running with Proxmox and Docker can't run without workarounds on Proxmox and since LXC are easy to install and everything, my way to go is with LXC. OMV is just used as fileserver and as the only service running I'm using Plex, because both servers have the same Octacore CPU.

What do you mean by docker background process? The docker deamon creates minimal overhead, basically it depends on cgroups as does lxc. Containerd and other abstraction layers dont do anything in idle. So either you misunderstood something or your system was broken.
    Docker inside proxmox failes to work out ofthe box because lxc does strange
    stuff with fs handling, breaking standards, but can be get to be working easily.
    If you loose data in docker, you loose them on your host, which is not caused by docker. Either you mount space from your host, or create a copy on write layer, which is stored on your host. Esp when it comes to data integrity docker is much stronger than lxc, where storage is handled by lxc itself while docker uses the hosts capabilities.
    I dont mean to be offensive, but in the end its a layer 8 problem, that neither docker nor lxc fix. Other users should not be distracted by such comments.

• Why?

It adds the official plex repo (on amd64 and i386) and the omv-extras plex bintray repo to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list and installs the plex signing key. I also had to keep plexmediaserver-installer in the bintray repo for armhf and arm64.
    While I am all for people working on plugins, this is one plugin I don't think needs to exist. Looking through your changes, you didn't change the code that can cause the most problems. The iframes code in the plugin is terrible as well and really shouldn't be used.

I can see after I have worked on it some more I only have to add the Plex repository to make it work. But it could be nice to just install the plugin without doing anything extra before installing it. But thank you for the info.

The update plugin works just fine if I just add the Plex repository via the ssh before installing the plugin. So I don't want to put any more time in to this. :)

• What do you really need the Plex plugin for anyway?

All it does is provide an installer for PlexPy which is obsolete, and gives you a mechanism to change the location of the database, which is easily done manually via well a documented method.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It seems they working currently on their repo (read it in Forum). Also my Plex told me i have to install the Update manual.

I have downloaded the latest Plex .deb and installed it manual. It seems all to work without any issues so far.

Could you please post the procedure on how you manually updated the plex with the latest .deb file?

I am currently running my plex media server on a raspberry pi 3B+ and when I try to manually upload the downloaded .deb file I get error Nginx: 413 – Request Entity Too Large.
    ... and yes I am a beginner with OMV, pi and plex :)

Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It gives a nice and easy way to install Plex Media Server without any command promt stuff.

Using docker does too. The plex plugin actually does some things wrong too.

when I try to manually upload the downloaded .deb file I get error Nginx: 413 – Request Entity Too Large.

You can't upload it using the web interface. That is for plugins only and plex is a dependency of the plugin. You really should use docker...

• I am probably doing it wrong with the docker but I just feel like there is some weirdness going on when I am using the docker on openmediavault. I feel like when using the plugin and having Plex Media Server installed directly on the openmediavault it runs a lot smoother.

When using the docker where should i place the transcoder folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I feel like when using the plugin and having Plex Media Server installed directly on the openmediavault it runs a lot smoother.

It shouldn't. Docker adds almost no overhead to the service running in the container.

When using the docker where should i place the transcoder folder?

On a data drive that has had the noexec option removed from its mntent entry in config.xml. There is at least one thread about this.

• On a data drive that has had the noexec option removed from its mntent entry in config.xml. There is at least one thread about this.

In Volumes and Bond mounts the /config Container path must point to a Host path that is on a drive mounted exec.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!