How can I start OMV without autostarting mdadm array?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure why you would want to but read this

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Its detailed in that other thread, mdadm is dropping disks on reboot. If i disable auto start i can assemble the array after reboot without it dropping a disk. You suggested in the other thread that its a possible mdadm bug at this point.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have to keep assembling the array, something is wrong. I don't know if it is a mdadm bug or not. I definitely look forward to more systems being on OMV 3.x and newer versions of mdadm. Hopefully things will get better.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• can't be mdadm bug.
    I am running OMV setup on RAID-1 System Disk and have no such issues.it starts and raid is healthy.

FYI: as you know you can not install on raided system disk.
    I had to install on single disk and than used the raider tools to make the bootable raid-1 system.
    but it still works as expected.

if you dropping raid on reboot it might be one of the drives is bad and not respond on boot.
    or it is slow and does not have time to respond..

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just because it works on your system, doesn't mean it can't be a bug affecting his system. He is using his array for data not the system drive.

You can install on a raided system disk by installing Debian first as well.

• Yea most of that doesn't not apply to me at all, but the disks not bad. Its completely random in the order the disk drops, all brand new disks not that, that means much. When a disk dropped out I took them out and ran it through a long diag and the disks are good, tested 4 that way. The only other possibility is hardware but like i was saying up top it the behavior is almost like the disk doesnt detect on bootup but once the OS is up its visable.

Only reason the array is dropping the disk is due to it not seeing it, so if start OMV with the array stopped and do an assemble and mount after I have no issues. Normally I would think hardware or perhaps a delay in the sas driver loading, or bad slots or cables but its completely random as to which of the 8 will drop. All the same hardware ran fine with 11 2tb disk. Very strange.

I booted off system rescue cd and had the same problem.

• you know what? it could be your PSU.
    are you sure that your PSU can handle all the hardware at once.
    what can happen is that you simply not getting enough power on boot up to power-up all the hardware.
    so which ever drives spin up first are seen and the rest have to wait until later to get the power to spin up.

what are your hardware specs? (preferably with PSU and hard drives models)

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• *Think I found the Issue"

I believe its either a backplane, cable, or sas expander.

Leaning towards the backplane, lost 2 disks the other day on the same 4 disk back plane.

My setup is rather complicated, perhaps to much but it was build to hold 24+ disks since i got to 4tb drives my foot print is much smaller so I cut out the sas expander and went direct to the M1015 HBA.

I run a Dell R710, vmware 6 with OMV getting the IBM 1015 sas controller passed threw to it via ESX.

The M1015 goes out to a Norco 4220 24 bay chassis (750W PS, supermicro power board) with a Intel Sas expander that runs to all 5 back planes in the Norco.

So tracking stuff down can be fun :) but i have extra hardware so usually troubleshooting isnt so bad. Didnt have a reference point till I had the 2 failures on the same backplane but will troubleshoot from that point.

Turning off mdadm on startup was just a step in this process.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!