Which version of OpenMediavault for Raspberry PI 3 ?

• Dear all,
    Can someone tell me what is the best stable version of Openmediavault for a Raspberry PI 3 ?
    I'd like to have a version which allow me to install Plex server without any problem.
    The version 3.0.13 causes problems....
    The version 2.2.1 causes a lot of errors...
    Thanks in advance for the feedback !!!

• Thanks for your quick replies. I appreciate.
    Instead of Plex, what can I use and with which version of OMV ?
    Could you suggest me something which can be installed on my PI3 without any problem ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plex does work on the RPi 2 & 3. It doesn't transcode and the package isn't being maintained though.

If you are streaming to a box running kodi, you can use nfs or samba (both builtin to OMV). If the box supports DLNA, you can use minidlna (plugin available). If you are using a Roku, you probably need plex. If you are using a FireTV, sideload Kodi on it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for you reply "ryecoaaron".
    I already use samba to access to movies (external disk plugged in my Pi3) within my local network.In fact, I want to access to my PI3 from outside. It's the reason why I wanted to install Plex media server.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ah, you didn't mention that in your first post. Plex is the best option plugin-wise. I don't know how well emby works on an RPi. You could vpn into your network as well (depending on device outside your network).

• Sorry for the lack of information....
    When you mentionned

Zitat

...You could vpn into your network as well (depending on device outside your network)...

, can you explain me the procedure to do this ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the external device has a vpn client, you could setup a vpn server using the openvpn or openvpnas plugin and connect to your omv server just like you were on your home network. I don't use openvpn but there are plenty of threads about it on this forum.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use vpn but openvpnas is probably easier. Search the forum for the guide.

• Pat,

How did you get on with your VPN setup?

I am not 100% sure but i think i read somewhere that openVPN AS does not work on RPi. I'd be interested to hear if you managed to install and get it working.

I have a RPi v3 and I have installed OpenVPN (not openVPNas) it is all working fine. I'm no expert but more than happy to help you.

One immediate note is to make sure you have a fixed or reserved IP address for the RPi. If your IP changes after you install OpenVPN it does not work anymore.

I have Plex running on a Mac mini with my media on my RPi. works brilliantly. You don't need VPN to access flex remotely with this config but VPN works brilliantly when overseas and you want to use streaming services like netflix, sky go (as these services are crippled when outside of the local region - when overseas on holiday for example).

good luck.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am not 100% sure but i think i read somewhere that openVPN AS does not work on RPi.

Correct. There is no armhf package. Only i386 and amd64 packages.

• Rules...

1) If you have only 2 users or less that will use the VPN and on a x86 machine go OpenVPN AS.
    2) If you are using an ARM device or want more than 2 users to connect to the VPN use the Community OpenVPN.

This will make the decision for you. I use both of the VPN plugins.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!