Changing smb.conf contents

• My first post to this forum - I hope I meet the forum conventions.

I want to add

follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes

to the global section in /etc/samba/smb.conf. According to this Mantis ticket: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=258

I created:

/usr/share/openmediavault/scripts/samba.d/11global

with the content:

#!/bin/sh
    set -e
    . /etc/default/openmediavault
    OMV_SAMBA_CONFIG=${OMV_SAMBA_CONFIG:-"/etc/samba/smb.conf"}
    cat <<EOF >> ${OMV_SAMBA_CONFIG}
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    EOF

and chmod +x the file. I also had directly edited smb.conf and added the two link-lines above. After the next change in the web-interface to samba, the lines about links dissappeared again. When I tried to investigate, in /etc/default/openmediavault I dont find OMV_SAMBA_CONFIG.

How can I achieve, what I want?

I am OMV using 3 Beta, everything updated, on HP-Proliant-Microserver Gen8 on a SD-Card (I was not successful installing 2 - it didn't boot, I always ended up on the grub rescue prompt).

Kind regards -buers

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put it in the extra options box on the Samba Settings tab. No need to do anything else.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron - worked! However, I had to learn (again - sigh) that wide links and follow symlinks don't work with unix extension = yes (which is the default). I had to increase the log level temporarily, to find this out.

It does look a bit strange to have the lines wide links = no followed by wide links = yes, but the later wins, so it is ok.

The next thing will be, to try the same functionality (with following links over partition borders) with NFS, something I never got to work on Synology.

OMV 4.1.13-1 (typically everything up to date), only plugin: flash memory; HP Microserver, 4 internal ext4 HDDs, SSD for OS, SD-Card for booting (can't boot on SSD with 4 HDD used …), external USB3 HDDs (ext4 + NTFS)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!