Is it possible that system log entries and corrupt rrdcached data are included in the OMV boot image

• Not sure. This is definitely a jessie issue though z

I don't know if it is of any help, but it seems that the saved log entries from 6 Dec 2016 were kept by folder2ram in the omv 2.2.1 system image.
    I tried
    folder2ram -clean
    folder2ram -generate
    reboot

and now the log file starts with the correct date, still getting some rrdcached errors - will have to look further into it

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just uploaded a new 3.0.24 image that should work fine. I'm not going to fix OMV 2.x images (no time).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I just uploaded a new 3.0.24 image that should work fine. I'm not going to fix OMV 2.x images (no time).

Can you perhaps add a note to the 2.2 image page, that running folder2ram -clean and folder2ram -generate fixes the issue we are experiencing with the logs and rrdcached - I have just tried it again and all is working fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Adding that note would be a sign that I'm just being lazy. I'll just fix the image....

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and i'm looking forward to testing a new omg image.

The issue with old syslog entries after reboot is not a jessie / omv 3 issue. It's in the image OMV 2.2 for wheezy.

Great to get a new img for wheezy that has this fixed and also has the rrdcached data cleared before creating the image.

Thanks!

• The rrdcached issues can be fixed with those steps I have in the Guide for the RTC module.

rm -r /var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost
    rm /var/lib/rrdcached/journal/*
    service collectd restart
    service rrdcached restart

After you have a cleared log that is how you clear the cache and restart collectd.

• tekkb - thanks for all your help. It's true that the issue can be fixed by deleting the rrdcached data but you need to do this every time the pi boots and this flushes any good data that has been captured sine the last boot.

ryecoaaron - thanks to you too. I'll create a new install from the new img and report back.

genekh - good find with the folder2ram commands. Any luck with clearing rrdcached data?

• this is not correct. trust me! Need clear rrdcached every reboot.

The issue is that there is corrupt rrdcached data that is part of the boot image. so whenever the pi boots, the corrupt data is created.

I'd like to know if there is anyway to clear the data from the boot image. the folder2ram commands don't clear rrdcached data.

• the folder2ram commands don't clear rrdcached data.

@jata1
    Try these steps

1. Stop (disable) the flash memory plugin - in omv web interface
    2. Check that there are no files in /var/folder2ram/var/log
    3. Clear rrdcached as per tekkb's instructions
    4. Clear the syslog (just type at the prompt: > /var/log/syslog
    5. reboot
    6. your syslog should now be ok, your rrdcached should now be ok
    7. Start (enable) the flash memory plugin - in omv web interface
    8. Check that it is working by typing at the prompt: folder2ram -status
    if it lists mounts and says they are all mounted then all is well
    otherwise type folder2ram -generate
    folder2ram -mountall

Hope this helps

• @genekh

amazing. it works!

now i don't get errors and i don't need to clear rrdcached after a reboot. And the performance statistics history is being maintained even after a reboot.

how did you work this out? what is folder2ram for and how is it related to the flash memory plugin?

thanks for the help.

• what is folder2ram for and how is it related to the flash memory plugin?

@jata1

The flash memory plugin uses folder2ram to create a virtual file system in RAM to spare the flash memory card that we are using as the OS disk - to maintain statistics and logs. It only writes to / reads from flash memory on reboots. So uncleared data in folder2ram was getting restored on reboots with old values from when the image was created. By disabling the plugin we cleared the stored values, then we cleared current values, so when we reboot there's nothing to restore. Then we start (enable) the plugin again to prevent wear&tear to the memory card.

So new images should always clear the stored folder2ram data before being released.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!