Spin Down All Computer Resources without Shutting Computer Down

• I run an OMV server from my home that not only functions as network attached storage for my network, but I also use it to host a VPN server that I use when I am traveling. In the next few weeks, I will be traveling for an extended period of time, and to save energy, my original plan was to use Wake on LAN so that I could turn the machine on and off as necessary. Unfortunately, my router has some limitations that prevent this from being feasible even though the computer I use as a server supports it with no problem whatsoever.

I do not know if what I would like to achieve is possible, but ideally, I would like to make the entire machine go in to a low power state that makes it still available whenever an attempt to connect to load the VPN server admin page is made. I do not know if there are any hardware limitations that would prevent this from working, and I also do not know if my primitive Verizon FIOS router would stop this from working. Can such a thing be achieved?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to have a device that is listening in order to do this. If you server is sleeping, it will not be the one. If your router can't, then you need something else in the mix. Try a Raspberry Pi. It only uses around 1 watt when idling. Then you could send the wake up signal from that. You could even put OMV on it.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Great! Thanks!

I've always wanted a Raspberry Pi, but I could never justify getting one. Just got it off of Amazon, and I cannot wait to set it up!

It's going to replace the old computer I have right now running OMV that sounds like a jet engine every time I am doing something on it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Great! Thanks!

I've always wanted a Raspberry Pi, but I could never justify getting one. Just got it off of Amazon, and I cannot wait to set it up!

It's going to replace the old computer I have right now running OMV that sounds like a jet engine every time I am doing something on it.

Here are the pre-made images.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thanks for the link. I tried making a bootable flash drive which I then used to install the regular version of OMV on an SD card, and was disappointed when the Pi wouldn't boot off of it. I didn't realize that there was a separate version for the Pi.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The RPi doesn't have an i386 or amd64 cpu. It also doesn't have a bios. It needs its own version of u-boot to boot from. So, definitely has to have its own image.

• The RPi doesn't have an i386 or amd64 cpu. It also doesn't have a bios. It needs its own version of u-boot to boot from. So, definitely has to have its own image.

You learn something new everyday.

I have no previous experience with Raspberry Pis. The one that I have was just purchased solely for use with OMV. I didn't even know that the Pi has its own version of Debian since it cannot run the original.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are lots of architectures supported by Debian - i386, amd64, armel, armhf, arm64, powerpc, etc. With Debian Jessie and the RPi2 or 3, it can run the standard Debian 8 armhf packages. It just needs its own kernel and uboot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!