Plex issue...

• Is the drive that has your /plexmediaserver/Library/ folder on it capable of executing programs from it?

Look in /etc/fstab. If that drive has noexec set, delete that entry and reboot. Make a backup copy of the file first.

Version 0.9.17.x and up will not transcode if that folder is on a drive with noxec set.

If you can not play media directly and it has to be transcoded it will not work if that folder is on a drive with noexec set.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• "temporary solution is to edit fstab and change noexec to exec for Plex database volume"

Anyone have done this to see if it works for you ?

I have updated Plex and I can still play my media files

English isn't my native language, so, sorry if I make mistakes ^^

OMV 7.0.3-1 | Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 | openmediavault-omvextrasorg 7.0

• I had to do this for any media that required transcoding to play. Files that play directly without transcoding will play without having to make that change.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The problem is the Codecs folder.

/media/UUID/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/

It contains the encoders and decoders. If I put this folder on the system drive and leave a symlink in it's place Plex works.

I am downgrading now to look at the old version that worked. In the old version the Codecs were not in that location.

• So normal folder rights/permissions are not enough if i change them?

OMV 3.x - Plex Media Server - Auto Shutdown - LUKS Disk Encryption

Intel Core i3 4130 @ 3,4 Ghz, 12GB RAM, 3x WD RED 3TB in RAID5 fully encrypted

• The problem with the latest Plex Pass version is not a rights/permissions issue. It is that they put codecs in a folder that the plugin mounts on the data drive which is mounted noexec. There are reasons for the noexec mount. I don't know why they put these codecs where they did. It would have been much more logical if they were where somewhere in the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver folder.

BTW, I noticed some other things that are messed up with chown lately on the Debian package that Yakumo (aka moxy) is doing for us.

• The problem with the latest Plex Pass version is not a rights/permissions issue. It is that they put codecs in a folder that the plugin mounts on the data drive which is mounted noexec. There are reasons for the noexec mount. I don't know why they put these codecs where they did. It would have been much more logical if they were where somewhere in the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver folder.

BTW, I noticed some other things that are messed up with chown lately on the Debian package that Yakumo (aka moxy) is doing for us.

Okay, so can you show me the commands you used to get it working?

something like:
    ln -s /media/UUID/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Codecs/ /root/plex/codecs/

?

I guess to remove the noexec option in fstab is not a good idea?

• @KingB You can do this for now.

First stop the Server:
    service plexmediaserver stop
    Move the Codecs folder to the root of the system drive and then:
    cd /media/UUID/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex (Press TAB to complete name and Enter)
    ln -s /Codecs Codecs

It is really stupid that they did this. The plugin can be coded to work around it but it increases the complexity of it.
    The really big problem is these codecs do not exist on install. They are downloaded when the server starts to be used.

• @tekkb

I am on 1.0.0.2261-a17e99e-debian

root:root /usr/lib/plexmediaserver
    root:root /usr/sbin/start_pms
    No such file /usr/share/plexmediamanager.desktop
    root:root /usr/share/doc/plexmediaserver
    No such file /usr/share/pixmaps/plexmediamanger.png

--

• When I install the latest package I am getting the 1000 user, whatever it is, for those locations. If you have 7 zip and open up the package you can see the chown is wrong in the package. I don't know if he has anything in postinst that is to correct it.

• Those are the permissions on the files and folders on my system.
    They are also the same in both the latest 1.0.0.2261-a17e99e package from plex.tv and the debian package I built from it as seen by 7-Zip.

--

• I have no Codecs Folder in there....
    Mine is under /media/UUID/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server/Codecs

i tried the same thing with that path and the command, did not work.
    will stay on 0.16 for now.

• Uh Dude, this is the path I am talking about:

/media/UUID/plexmediaserver/Plex Media Server/

I just told you to press TAB so you don't have to write out the full Plex Media Server or worry about backslashes.

• The new 1.0 version doesn't see the files I add when I scan my library :(

EDIT : Folder permission issue, bedtime lol

English isn't my native language, so, sorry if I make mistakes ^^

OMV 7.0.3-1 | Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 | openmediavault-omvextrasorg 7.0

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jroch74 ()

• 1.0.0.2261 sees additions for me. I have always had "Run a partial scan when changes are detected" enabled.

--

• This change may be permanent with the Codecs folder. It is stupid what they did but we can have the plugin move it to the system drive. Everyone be patient a bit and stay on the old version for a couple more days.

• I fixed the issues with the codecs in the plugin for OMV 1.x, OMV 2.x and OMV 3.x. All you have to do once you upgrade to the new version is disable the Plexmediaserver plugin in the Web GUI and then enable it again. Hopefully Aaron will get the upgrades in the repos sometime today.

@ryecoaaron

Changelogs done... Just need to build and get into repos. I tested them already.

• Great news, thank you

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!