Plex issue...

• I set up OMV yesterday - latest stable version. Installed the extras, activated plex etc. Even Samba works flawlessly which never happens for me first try 8|

My only current problem is...anything that requires transcoding *will not play*. So, avi files, HEVC files etc. None will play on the web client. As a precursor to this before anyone answers - I was running Plex Media Server on Windows 10, with the same hardware just the day before (decided it'd be more efficient to switch to Linux, and something streamlined like OMV), and everything worked fine. It just keeps saying "there was a problem playing this item" on anything that requires transcoding. All the devices and browsers that used to play transcoded video from the plex server no longer do, so it's a server issue. I read it might be the transcoding temp directory - so I changed it...to a partition with plenty of space (over 100gb). Still doesn't work.

Specs are as follows:
    CPU: Intel Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz (golden chip :D)
    RAM: 8GB DDR2 1066
    HDD: WD BLUE 2.5'' 5400RPM 160GB w/30GB boot partition, with the rest used for Plex data and transcoding (yes, I've also tried a seperate 7200RPM hard drive for transcoding).

I'm stumped. I want it to work, I really do. I want to support open source software...but in the back of my head, I keep thinking "I could just go back to Windows...that sort of..just works". I want this to work, and I'm trying to figure it out...but if it ain't broke, don't fix it? lol

• just a recommendation cox I don't have much experience with plex, but I think you should also post in plex forums (if you haven't already)

Funnily enough, I have. I tried their solution of simply installing plex on Ubuntu server (instead of OMV) and that worked fine - I however, want OMV because of the interface lol

• Eh - thanks, but if a working actual solution to the problem doesn't exist beside circumventing OMV (making OMV pointless as a whole), I'll just go back to using Windows. Can't say I didn't give it a shot, but there's no reason to muck around with something that you have to fiddle with endlessly when there's a system that works perfectly out of the box.

• After reading your problem post I decided to try playing some files that require transcoding. I have the same problem and it doesn't matter what client I use. Never had any trouble before so I suspect it is due to a recent Plex upgrade. I'll try rolling back and see what happens.

Edit:

I was on plexmediaserver_0.9.17.2.2159-2bd156c-debian_amd64.deb and it displayed the same problem reported by the OP.

Downgrading to plexmediaserver_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-debian_amd64.deb solved it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to understand that plex is not officially supported in Debian. The package exists because someone (not from plex team) transforms the package from Ubuntu to work with Debian wheezy. I don't use plex much, but I still have it using a docker image. It stays up to date, for Omv or Debian you have to wait for the mantainer to convert the package.
    I'll test it later to see if there is any difference with the latest version.

• After reading your problem post I decided to try playing some files that require transcoding. I have the same problem and it doesn't matter what client I use. Never had any trouble before so I suspect it is due to a recent Plex upgrade. I'll try rolling…

orly? Hmmm. I haven't tried that. I'm using the newest plexpass version as well. I'll get to trying that when I get home. Do you just install the old version over the new?

I didn't mean to sound snippy or anything before - for me when it comes to this sort of thing, if it wants to exist in my world it needs as little tweaking as possible lol

• 0.9.17.2.2159-2bd156c-debian is the first PlexPass version that broke for me, and I have gone thru at least 35 versions of @yakumo's builds, both regular and PlexPass.

All I did to fix it was download a copy of plexmediaserver_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-debian_amd64.deb and from a shell:

sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-debian_amd64.deb

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• There's two major issues with Plex 0.9.17.2

The first one is that the start.sh script moved from /usr/lib/plexmediaserver to /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources
    So you have to edit the init script to match the new script location

The second one is a locale issue, so you have to edit /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service to match the default locale of your system
    You can identify your default locale by running locale

Plex will work after you do that and reboot your server

But I recommend to downgrade to 0.9.16.6 and wait for a new update

English isn't my native language, so, sorry if I make mistakes ^^

OMV 7.0.3-1 | Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 | openmediavault-omvextrasorg 7.0

• Thanks for the info. Today I've installed Plex Media Server via GUI and 0.9.16.2 was installed. So I've upgraded manually to v0.9.16.6 (liked discribed in the Plex GUI) and everything is working like a charm.
    Unfortunately I'm a Plex Pass User and can't use the latest PMS but I'm ok with that, as long as it's working like I need.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you installed the plugin, it is strange that 0.9.16.2 was installed. That version isn't even in our repo. 0.9.16.6 is in the repo.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Really? When I've installed Plex I believe it was x.x.2 because I immediately got the info that there's an update available. It could also be possible that something was corrupted when I installed first Plex, made a mistake, deinstalled Plex (restarted the server several times) and installed it again. So I upgraded it manually and everything works (at least for the

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• There's two major issues with Plex 0.9.17.2

The first one is that the start.sh script moved from /usr/lib/plexmediaserver to /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Resources
    So you have to edit the init script to match the new script location

If you are using @yakumo's build of 0.9.17.2 (currently a PlexPass version) then the corrected init.d script was provided in the package. This is a red herring as no one here ever said that Plex refused to start.

And there is no /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service file in @yakumo's packages. If you have that file on your system it got there some other way. It isn't used by Debian wheezy, the basis of OMV 2.x.

Also, quite a bit of what is being said in the plex.tv forums applies to their Ubuntu (systemd) package which may or may not be applicable to the Debian wheezy package which is derived from it.

--

• I gave the issues I have seen on Plex forums for both sysd and sysv
    Sorry I don't speak that much English so I'm not concise everytime

Definitive temporary solution is to edit fstab and change noexec to exec for Plex database volume
    Work for me

English isn't my native language, so, sorry if I make mistakes ^^

OMV 7.0.3-1 | Linux 6.1.0-18-amd64 | openmediavault-omvextrasorg 7.0

• I looked into this issue with the new package 0.9.17.2. It seems they may not have compiled the transcoder the same as the previous versions and it is causing the errors with certain file formats.

So I recommend not upgrading to the new package and if you have downgrade to 0.9.16.6. Wait for a newer package.

Easy way to downgrade:
    apt-get install plexmediaserver=0.9.16.6.1993-5089475-debian

• Offizieller Beitrag

Version 0.9.17.3.2239 now released.

That is the plexpass package in shell.ninthgate.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Had the same Issue with 0.9.17.xxx and had to revert to 0.9.16.x ...

Now i ran the update to Version 1.0.0.2261 but still same issue. Server Works and I can see all the Media, but it is not playing. Sad.

I think i have to revert.

OMV 3.x - Plex Media Server - Auto Shutdown - LUKS Disk Encryption

Intel Core i3 4130 @ 3,4 Ghz, 12GB RAM, 3x WD RED 3TB in RAID5 fully encrypted

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!