Can't create file system (/dev/sdg1 does not exist and no size was specified)

• Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up OMV on my new NAS with 3 5TB drives (new) and 4 2TB drives (old).
    When I'm trying to create a new file system it fails on one drive. On every other drive there weren't any problems.

error message:

Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\ExecException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; mkfs -V -t ext4 -b 4096 -m 0 -E lazy_itable_init=0,lazy_journal_init=0 -O 64bit -L 'Daten5' /dev/sdg1 2>&1': mke2fs 1.42.12 (29-Aug-2014)
    The file /dev/sdg1 does not exist and no size was specified.' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:601
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->create(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(81): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(524): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

fdsik output:

I did find a bug report in Mantis but with no result or any tips how to resolve the problem (http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1539)

I'm not that good with linux. I tried google without any success. I know OMV 3 ist still beta and this could be a bug. I'm happy to help out identifying the bug and resolve the issue if you can tell me how :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you wipe the drive? Look in Physical Devices tab if you didn't.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes I did wipe all the old drives (Quick mode).

I just tested the command from the error message via ssh:

I'm sorry the output is in german.
    If you do it manually there doesn't seem to be a problem. After refreshing the WebGUI the drive gets listed correctly in the File System tab.
    I don't know why the OMV script running the command doesn't work but at least there seems to be a workaround. If you want me testing something for debugging purposes I'm happy to help out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdg bs=512 count=10000

Then see if you can create a filesystem in the webgui.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

You shouldn't have to delete anything if you zero'd the drive with the command I posted.

I would post a new bug on bugtracker. Maybe there is something Volker would have you try.

• I did create a file system before manually. I thought I had to remove it first in order to create a new one through the WebGUI. Nevertheless it shouldn't make any difference because I did use your command after deleting the file system.

I did leave a note in Mantis in the existing bug report (bug report isn't that old, didn't want to post a new bug report for the samebug).

edit: I did install OMV2 yesterday night because OMV 3 seemed too unstable for me and there weren't any problems. Just wanted to let you know.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!