OMV setup (coming back after a few years)

• Hello Everyone

I am redoing my home server and looking for some feedback/suggestions.

My home server is just over 3 years now. The specs are

AMD FX6100
    Asus Extreme3 970
    8GB of Kingston RAM
    4 x 1TB Seagate Sata3 drive
    Adaptec 6405E Raid Card

For the last few years I have been using proxmox but decided to get away from that. I am thinking I will not need to virtualize any more.

My needs are file storage, grabbing TV shows and a torrent client.

Now when I last used OMV, I liked it very much. But my issue was that over time my OMV data would disappear. This happened 3 times. So I stopped using it.

I am looking to come back. I was wondering if anyone else had issues above? I was also wondering if it was happening because it was on RAID or because I was using proxmox or a combination of both.

As of now I took out the RAID card as I was testing freenas, and they dont recommend raid cards or AMD, so I dont think i will be using their product.

So I was wondering if anyone else here uses adaptec raid cards here and have any issues?

Thanks for help and I appreciate any feedback

• I don't use Raid card, but soft raid.
    I being using OMV over a year now, and no data issue.
    it could be your Proxmox or raid cards that caused data loss.
    Raid is not a backup.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

Data would disappear?

I've been using OMV since .2 (around Sept, 2011), and have never had data just "disappear".

Regardless of that..

If the RAID card has solid support in Linux, it should work fine. I'm not really familiar w/ Adaptec, so you'll have to investigate that on your own.

File storage.. I can't see how this could be an issue... It's a NAS operating system, that's what it's designed to do as it's basic function.

Plex or Emby are both well supported (some folks report having issues w/ Plexpass) and should handle streaming your media.

There's a torrent client that seems to work fine (I don't use it a whole lot... but it works when I do)

I'm pretty sure there's a couchpotato plugin.. I know that fetches movies, but not sure about TV shows, as I don't use it... I usually just torrent tv shows manually.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!