Why is my HDD waking up?

• Is this the same sort of activity you were seeing @Moan before you disabled SMART ?

Sorry, I don't remember what it exactly shown, but "Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smartd.service; enabled" was displayed as well.
    When I stopped this service it shows disabled. Now disks never wake up when not needed.

I hope it solved your problem.
    By the way, I store Plex database on the main SD card, not the external disk. If you have a different configuration it can cause those wake ups.

• I wanted to necrobump this to say that this is still an issue 5+ years later.

Here is a screenshot of my blktrace logs of smartd waking the disks 19 times during the night with read operations, the journalctl logs from the smartd service clearly showing it is running and having issues determining if it should leave the USB3 hardware raid enclosure alone. and my web-panel showing it is disabled there.

I have manually disabled it and stopped it and now the disks arent being woken up by a supposedly disabled service.

nsI9sr0.png

• Thanks for the thread. I was stumbling upon the same problem....HDD was waking up for no obvious reason.

I was using HD-IDLE for spindowns as one of my HDDs was simply ignoring HDPARM spindown/APM settings.

HD-IDLE was working fine in my tests (and HD-IDLE service /log was also showing spinups and spindowns correctly), on my old HDD (the one that was ignoring HDPARM and without SMART compatibility).

After changing the old HDD to a newer WD HDD I noticed, that HD-IDLE was only working for a short time (manual accessing the HDD was registered correctly in HD-IDLE log as a spinup and goes back to spindown later) but after a while the HDD wakes up without HD-IDLE showing the spinup status. Therefore HD-IDLE will not attempt another spindown as it thinks the disc is still in spindown mode.

Using HDPARM instead was working better in this case with the WD HDD, as it will send the disc back to sleep after the set amount of spindown time. But still I can see and hear the disc spinning up once in a while without any active access to the HDD from my end.

So in that scenario the discs spins up and down many times per day (30min spindown time) without any accesses to the HDD from me.

Having found and read this thread I checked the SMART service:

sudo service smartd status

It's running and accessing the disk, although left completely disabled in OMV webgui. It seems that any access from smartd is not registered in HD-IDLE and that's why HD-IDLE only initiates a spindown after a fresh boot or a manual access on the share from me.

So I went back into the OMV webgui and after changing Power mode in SMART settings (within OMV webgui) to "Standby" and applying this, while still leaving SMART disabled there, the problem went away.

So it seems SMART is active per default, although OMV webgui shows it disabled. After changing a SMART setting in the webgui and saving this, SMART is now acting as configured in the webgui.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!