M2N32SLI Deluxe & VMWorkstation

• Hi,
    I've got an old setup:
    M2N32SLI deluxe ASUS 80GB EIDE HDD (NVIDIA nForce® 590, Sil 3132)

Now I want to install Win7 on it (it is still running) and VMWare Workstation, what for?

Install a VM with OMV (what size should be the os disk?).

Add 4x3TB SATA HDD on the MB, don't partition them in Windows and use function "Use a phisical disk" of VMWare Workstation to "map" the new disks directly to OVM.

Tried a simulation with virtual hdd (small 1GB x 5 disks) and OVM goes ULTRAFAST! even with EIDE HDD....

Do you think I can add 3TB HDD to this old MB or should I buy some sort of PCI-e controller??

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would think it would work ok. Might not boot from a 3 TB drive though.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Finally got all the pieces!!!

Now running OMV in vmware workstation!!!!!!!!!

Building a RAID 5 device from 3x3TB! ---> 5.46 TiB an resyncing (1200 mins ramininig! 20 hrs!)

I've got to wait...

Now question:

- the hdd are connected to the VM as directly connected, how can I spin them down when not in use?

Thanks

Marco

• I am not sure if that works on VMware here....

Another question:
    Why not simply boot OMV directly without Windows7 and without VMware? Or asked from the other corner: What is the indention of using Windows7 (consuming a lot of resources for nothing) then running VMware Workstation (another eater on the food chain esp. Memory) and then OMV?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Hi!
    Thanks for the reply! I use Win 7 for connecting to my car (the PC is in the basement...) and for the connection to the alarm/intrusion system... So I cannot "remove" Windows because I cannot replicate these functions into OMV...

I just wanna kwnw if it is possile to spin down unaccessed disks... Even installing some SW on Windows, not pretending directly from OMV...

Thanks

Marco

• And the answer is ... not that easy.

You may or may not be able to spin down, but there are many various questions to answer.

Spinning down in Windows without awareness in OMV will not work properly. So OMV need to know about it. OMV support spindown of disks, and if VMware supports this with physical disks, then it will work. But that is simply something you need to test.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• What sould I configure in CMV?
    Now I've set 64 into the standby config - I remeber there is 1 - 64 - 128 (no standby) but not very mutch more
    (I'm at work now)
    What is the best configuration?
    I'd like to spin them down to extend their life, and I can wait for the spin up when in need :D
    Thanks again!
    Marco

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!