Installing firmware/drivers for Intel AC 8260

• Hey everyone, first post on here and first time user of OpenMediaVault. Have made quite a lot of progress so far coming from a background of novice knowledge in regards to Linux, but I'm enjoying learning all these new things.

I searched around quite a bit in regards to this issue but I think I'm stuck and not really sure what to do at this point, but here's the details. I'm using the GA-H170N-WIFI motherboard which has a Intel 8260NGW in a M.2 slot. From that I found the Linux firmware over at the Intel site. I manually copied the firmware iwlwifi-8000C-13.ucode to the directory /lib/firmware/. Unsurprisingly doing just this didn't do much. So I found this very helpful thread in these forums and followed every step, yet still nothing. After that I also found this and this on StackExchange. They both seems to resolve the issue by installing something called backports.

So after some quick searching I found the backports for Wheezy (which is running under OMV 2 iirc) and noticed the iwlwifi-8000C-13 firmware wasn't there, however it (sort of) was in the Jessie backports, only the closest thing to it was iwlwifi-8000C-14 not -13. However I'm not sure if this is important or not.

Someone over on this forum also mentioned I need to "[...]install the latest kernel (currently 4.3)", afaik this is a Jessie kernel not a Wheezy one (I say this because when I updated the kernel in OMV it only went as far as 3.16). Is it even possible to install a (what I believe is) a Jessie kernel on Wheezy? If so, is that all I have to do given the firmware iwlwifi-8000C-13.ucode is already in the right place (/lib/firmware/) or do I need to install the aforementioned Jessie backports (firmware-iwlwifi_20160110-1~bpo8+1_all.deb) as well?

I hope this post isn't too convoluted, and explains my issue properly and answers whether or not I'm on the right track. :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wrote this script to compile the driver for the 7260. Shouldn't be hard to modify for the 8260

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ah, I saw your post/script in the other thread I mentioned. I've already run your script and followed everything else in that thread, but the reason I don't think it works in my case is that because the 7260 firmware is a part of the Wheezy kernel/backports (not sure of correct terminology), whereas the 8260 firmware is a part of the Jessie kernel/backports.

Which leads into my question of whether it's possible to install a (what I believe is) a Jessie kernel on Wheezy, assuming this is what I need to do. I'm just a little lost but I think I'm in the right direction, I'm just not sure how to proceed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just looked here and the 8260 does require a 4.1+ kernel. Options:
    - wait for OMV 3.x to be released and use the backports 4.6 kernel
    - compile your own 4.1+ kernel
    - Use a pre-compiled kernel from the forum - here is one - link
    - Don't use wireless (my preferred solution)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for your quick reply. I'll try out one of the pre-compiled kernels and see how I go. But as a side note, I don't intend on using wireless long term or anything. I'm in the process of setting up cabling at the moment, but that won't be done for another week or two, and was hoping I could see things running before then. I've learnt quite a few things so far which I think could help out in other occasions in the future though, and figured it'd be interesting to see it's limitations compared to ethernet.

Edit: Yay! It worked. Installed the btrfs-tools from the other post (which required an install of something else before it, some sort of lib --I should have written it down), followed by the image and header. After that I was able to add the wlan0 onto 5ghz.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!