Raspberry Pi Boot Solution

• Just a note to anyone using OMV on a Raspberry Pi, I would highly recommend BerryBoot software. It places a small handler on the micro SD card that will install operating system on any connected USB hard drive. It allows you to partition, format, and install multiple operating systems on the attached hard drive (or even on the SD card itself) and boot from the image on the hard drive instead of the SD card.

Booting is MUCH faster than from an SD card.

It comes with a menu with nearly all the operating systems you would need, including Debian, OpenElec, OMV, Android, etc. Just pick the ones you want to install, and it pops up with a menu at boot time so you can select which image to boot from... Also has web server, terminal program, and memory test software.

Very handy, and seems to work well. http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

• Offizieller Beitrag

Disclaimer... I am the creator of the RPi OMV images.

I disagree. Speed of boot has a lot to do with SD card speed. And while boot time from hard drive may be a bit faster, why does it matter? You can't tell me you are turning you RPi off to save energy?? That would save 2 or less watts.

And to multiboot an RPi? Why? Buy another one. I spent a lot of time creating and maintaining the RPi images. Using berry boot, you can install OMV but... Good luck. I know I won't support this solution.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Ryecoaaron:

Well, you yourself said NOT to run OMV on an USB drive because OMV does a lot of writes to the drive, I assumed that an SD would be the same situation and will quickly wear out because it has no wear leveling.

Why is it not recommended OMV install to USB?

Hence my desire to boot from a standard hard drive or SSD. The only way I know of to do this on a Pi is through some software like berryboot. As far as I know, booting from the USB port is currently not supported on the Pi3 or any other Pi.

And, I am a beginner and need (want?) to play with various operating systems to become more familiar with them. I don't need 15 raspberry pi's scattered all over my desk...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I said not to use USB/SD almost two years ago but that was before the flashmemory plugin. Since that plugin exists, I have no problem telling people to use USB/SD. The RPi and odroid images have the flash memory plugin installed already so no need to worry about it.

As for trying various operating systems, I would use virtual machines. Virtualbox on a desktop is a good start.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!