SanDisk CF Extreme vs. SSD

• I've read allot about not using USB flash drives or compact flash cards. Instead, an SSD drive is recommended.
    I use CF ever since I migrated my FreeNas7 to OMV. Never had any problems other than my own stupidity.

I understand the differences with simple/cheap USB/CF vs. more expensive SSD drives.
    But i don't get it what the difference would be between SSD drive and a professional (expensive) compact flash card.
    - SSD uses flash memory with TRIM to make it more durable.
    - SanDisk CF extreme uses flash memory with ESP (Enhanced Super-Parallel Processing) that handles wear-leveling
    This ESP feature for CF looks a lot like the TRIM feature for SSD. Maybe I misinterpret something?

I have some CF cards which I use for OMV and old-laptops.
    On the performance side I don't have any issues. It might also be very power-efficient but that is something I don't care about for my NAS.
    It's extremely convenient (adapter is on the backside of my case) for multy-purposes hardware usage.
    Creating clones is as easy as it can be and if my system go's for a 'freeze', I can easily switch boot device by changing CF card.

On the other hand there are you guys, telling everybody not to use flash drives.
    I've seen some links to scripts that will change OMV's write-activity behavior, do you also use scripts if you run from an SSD drive?
    Or do you use other methods to increase boot-device 'stability/durability/performance/etc.'?
    Are there things I overlook in my understanding of this flash problem?

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I always recommend hard drives. I could see using ssd (especially slc ssd - rated for many more writes than standard mlc) because they have wear leveling. The professional CF cards are probably ok as well since they have wear leveling too. Standard usb sticks have none of that and in testing, I had one die in two days. I haven't had a chance to test the scripts to minimize writes but they definitely can't hurt.

So, if you are using CF with good luck, keep doing it :) Most people having problems are using cheap usb sticks.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!