Raid1 hardware or software?

• Hi guys, I want to do a raid1, but I don't know if to do a RAID1 software or hardware.
    I have a motherboard with h170, so I can do it.
    What should I do for you? Does RAID1 software have some Pro against raid hardware?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

That motherboard doesn't have real hardware raid. I would just use software raid.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• oh :( so there is no difference between setting it by OMV or from my motherboard right?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, actually the motherboard raid is worse. It can be very dependent on the motherboard for compatibility. Where a mdadm software raid array can be used on any system. They are both software raid but the motherboard raid is proprietary.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm trying to do the RAID1, but when I go into RAID manegement-> create, There isn't any device, despite of I have2 WD 4TB if I look into Physical disk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, you don't want to mount drives that will be in a software raid array. You need to wipe them and then they should show up.

• mmm, I'm fine with wipe them, but.. I have OMV installed on one of them, how can I do so?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't mirror the drive with the OS on it from the web interface. Why do you want to mirror the OS drive anyway?

• Because I only have 2 hard drives :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

Put OMV on a usb stick (make sure to install the flashmemory plugin though).

• how can I do that? there is some tool to copy OVM and grub into an usbkry/memory stick?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could install it onto a usb stick is what I meant. But, you can use clonezilla to move the install. It typically doesn't work very well for going from a larger drive to a smaller drive though.

• i'll try with clonezilla first :/ don't want to go throught all this installation again!

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• I had a 32GB memory card, so i'm using it :)
    the problem is with grub, after cloning my partition to micro SD, now it doesn't detect OMV anymore :(
    Edit: i'll create a new post for the grub problem, it has more sense

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!