Raid1 hardware or software?

• OMV 2.x
    • Resolved

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Raid1 hardware or software?

Hi guys, I want to do a raid1, but I don't know if to do a RAID1 software or hardware.
      I have a motherboard with h170, so I can do it.
      What should I do for you? Does RAID1 software have some Pro against raid hardware?
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - Syba SI-PEX40064 Marvell 88SE9125 - 8GB ram - Corsair VS350W - 2X6TB Seagate Ironwolf - 4x2TB WD Enterprise
      OMV 4.1.17 - Kernel 4.18 backport 3 - omvextrasorg 4.1.2
    • That motherboard doesn't have real hardware raid. I would just use software raid.
      omv 4.1.17 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.13
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • No, actually the motherboard raid is worse. It can be very dependent on the motherboard for compatibility. Where a mdadm software raid array can be used on any system. They are both software raid but the motherboard raid is proprietary.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • I'm trying to do the RAID1, but when I go into RAID manegement-> create, There isn't any device, despite of I have2 WD 4TB if I look into Physical disk
      Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - Syba SI-PEX40064 Marvell 88SE9125 - 8GB ram - Corsair VS350W - 2X6TB Seagate Ironwolf - 4x2TB WD Enterprise
    • Nope, you don't want to mount drives that will be in a software raid array. You need to wipe them and then they should show up.

• You can't mirror the drive with the OS on it from the web interface. Why do you want to mirror the OS drive anyway?

• Put OMV on a usb stick (make sure to install the flashmemory plugin though).

• You could install it onto a usb stick is what I meant. But, you can use clonezilla to move the install. It typically doesn't work very well for going from a larger drive to a smaller drive though.

• i'll try with clonezilla first :/ don't want to go throught all this installation again!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Blabla ().

• I had a 32GB memory card, so i'm using it :)
      the problem is with grub, after cloning my partition to micro SD, now it doesn't detect OMV anymore :(
      Edit: i'll create a new post for the grub problem, it has more sense

The post was edited 2 times, last by Blabla ().