extend mirror from a not wiped HDD

• There is really no way to create a RAID1 from an already used HDD to a wiped one?
    It really makes no sense to me, because raid 1 is simply a copy, so there should'nt be any problem to do that :/ For what I know even Windows can do that!

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is really no way to create a RAID1 from an already used HDD to a wiped one?

What's issue here? you have HDD that you want to add to your current mirror and that HDD is already being used?

Or you want a single drive, that's already formatted and mounted to convert it to RAID1?

For what I know even Windows can do that!

This is the linux village.

• I believe that is related to this thread:

Raid1 hardware or software?

So my first guess would be:
    He is trying to run a raid1 on from the OS disk. That is not supported - end of story.

The other thread is dealing with it.

Once you have installed the OS on the USB/Flash drive, you should be able to wipe both HDDs.

Find out the name of the disks (e.g. sda/sdb) and then overwrite the first two MB with DATA like:

WARNING: ALL DATA ON BOTH DISKS ARE LOST FOREVER!

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda size=2M
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb size=2M

That actually removes all headers and partitions from the disks and you can then create a raid with OMV with both.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is really no way to create a RAID1 from an already used HDD to a wiped one?
    It really makes no sense to me, because raid 1 is simply a copy, so there should'nt be any problem to do that :/ For what I know even Windows can do that!

I've never used it but look at raider.

I can think of lots of things Linux can do that Windows can't...

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I've never used it but look at raider.

I can think of lots of things Linux can do that Windows can't...

I know, that's the reason why I thought that linux had a function like that :) i'll look for raider, but the last update is from 4 years ago, i'm not really sure about using it :/

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

It still works. Not many mdadm functions have changed.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!