OMV in shared apartment

• Hello guys,

I'm moving from one country to another and I'll have to share an apartment with other people for a few months.
    Of course, I'm taking my OMV server with me in my car. This is where all my data is! I have an HP Microserver Proliant G8.

My own private space will only be my room, that means that I'll need to keep my microserver in my room. That's not a big deal because mircroserver isn't noisy at all but what about connectivity?

My raspberry pi (first model without wifi adapter) is actually connected to my router too in order to show me the server contents (movies, shows, etc...). I'm taking my tv to my room.

I'll have access to the shared wifi in the Leaving Room. I can't bring an RJ45 from leaving room to my personal room...

1) Use a wifi usb dongle to connect my server to the internet and the LAN so I can have access to my folders?
    I have a wisacom USB 200 but, after some tests, I'm not able to join my WLAN here.... (my actual place, not future one):

root@microserver:/sbin# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.
    as0t0 no wireless extensions.
    eth1 no wireless extensions.
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:off/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off

eth0 no wireless extensions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@microserver:/sbin# sudo ifup wlan0
    wpa_supplicant: /sbin/wpa_supplicant daemon failed to start
    run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant exited with return code 1
    Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
    Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
    All rights reserved.
    For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/
    Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:ef:10:17:30
    Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:1a:ef:10:17:30
    Sending on Socket/fallback
    DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 18
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
    DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
    No DHCPOFFERS received.

--> I don't know what happens

2) Maybe a wifi extender? something like this (20€):
    https://www.amazon.fr/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Compatibilité-Universelle-Installation/dp/B00NIZRSLS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1468597508&sr=8-3&keywords=TP-LINK+TL-WA850RE

This could do the job, connecting the server to the RJ45... even if I don't think wake on lan would work... because the mac-adress seen by the router is the wifi extender mac right..?

3) some ideas...? Maybe getting a real good modern usb wifi dongle for the server and raspberry pi model 3 with integrated wifi module ?

Thanks in advance guys!

• Hello again,

I was thinking that whatever solution I chose, my USB adaptor should work with my server!

I don't unterstand..it seems to be connected to the wifi, seems to have an IP but when I unplug the RJ45 from the eth1, it doesn't work...

any idea?

would you mind to check my snapshots please?

Thanks

EDIT: Found the solution. Just needed to shut the eth0 (ifdown eth0). I guess there is some kind of conflict with both...
    BTW... WOL is not working with the USB Wifi dongle...is that normal? I guess, this needs to be supported by the nic ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW... WOL is not working with the USB Wifi dongle...is that normal? I guess, this needs to be supported by the nic ?

Absolutely normal....
    Few adapters support "wake on wireless", mainly laptops (specifically i've seen macbooks with this capability). I've never ever seen a wireless plug card (usb or pcie) with that kind of support.

I've seen this problem mentioned in the forum before, but the times i've tried in my server I have never experience those issues using wireless.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!