System configuration request

• Greetings

I tried previously to setup OMV and seemed to have things setup but couldn't figure out how to just 'make things work'.
    Just setup another system using 3.0.26 and have it running on a VM. Have attached a 20 GB drive for the system, a 1 TB drive for general backup stuff, and a 200 GB drive that I want to setup for backup on a database/management system for system use here.

Have looked for and haven't been able to find a group or set of instructions for setting up the various items/parameters on OMV.
    Short of researching every item separately is there any document where it goes through these various configuration setups for the tools in OMV?

I have been running linux for a long time but am only beginning my odyssey as a sys admin!

TIA

• I think I have an answer. There is no current documentation; there are no current configuration tables, suggestions or ideas. There were a lot of people reading the request which would seem that there might be interest in this but - - -

for me - - - well the software may work but if I don't understand how to get all the parts to work together - - - - well it then doesn't work.

So I will be nuking the vm that I had setup to try and get a configuration working.

I will also be suggesting to anyone who might ask that this is software for computer experts only.

YOUR HELP FORUM DOESN'T WORK!!

Good bye.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Never saw this post and you could've bumped it...

Sorry you feel that way but I know I don't have the number of posts because I don't help. It is not for experts only. You are looking for documentation for one of a billion ways to setup OMV. While I understand documentation is lacking, there is probably at least one thread (if not a guide in the guides forum) in this forum for every one of your questions. You initial post was so general, it is hard to answer without writing a book. I do better at answering short questions. Are you backing up from Windows or Linux or both would be a good question to start with.

It is hard to find good free help.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• I am really not sympathetic with people writing stuff like this. His post was so muddled. Don't even know where to begin. People need to be more precise about what they want help with. And Aaron is right, OMV can be setup a billion ways. Who is going to write the manual on something like this? I hate it when a guy like Aaron, who does so much work for OMV, is apologetic. It is frickin ridiculous.

The biggest problem with documenting things in OMV is how fluid the development has been. Many of the "how to" posts I have done become obsolete quickly. There are all kinds of helpful posts on the forum people. Don't be lazy. I can't tell you how many times people have asked a question and I've found the solution with the first search of the forum or within the first 5, or so, results on a google search.

We've told people numerous times not to be afraid to bump their posts. We all have lives.

• Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Just love the, FINALLY, responses - - - 'he didn't even write what he's running on' - - - well as you have called me stupid and a few other things I might just point out that I did write what I was running on - - - perhaps your reading wasn't working or is that your ignoring was working overtime so you didn't see it (see the last line on the first message).

I spent a significant amount of time looking for a guide or any number of guides and all I could find was a guide current as of sys 1.0, which is itself incomplete, and I was working on installing and configuring sys 3.0.?

So I'm supposed to not be afraid to bump the request - - - perhaps you should indicate that somewhere.

The responses here really emphasize the linux method - - - if you don't know how to do it already you are too stupid go be a windows fan boy - - - somehow that seems to be the norm with complicated software installs.
    Also part of the norm is poor to non-existent guides and questions for how tos being considered an interruption for the important develop a new feature that you're working on - - - never mind that the questions on any method of access are exploding but then if I don't know I'm supposed to be to stupid. Then trash talking the messenger - - - that was supposed to be real old by the time you finished kindergarten - - - but its alive and well here.

You might want to actually spend 0.1% of your development time in writing guides or directions or just post a notice that if you don't know how to make all the 8, or is it 10, different, each individually complex products work together, that the user is on their own because there just is no time to write a 'how to post'.

Sorry that you have been inconvenienced but in the real world, that nuts and bolts physical world, if it doesn't work - - - - it gets dumped and when it gets dumped enough - - - well - - - it dies.

• Why don't you make coherent posts??? Breakdown exactly what you need help with and make individual posts. Take a look at all the posts in the Guide section. Ranting wastes your time and ours.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No one called you stupid. I did ask if you were backing up from Windows or Linux.

As for bumping a request, where should I put that? Most forums don't tell you anywhere that you can bump a post.

You keep bringing up how poor the documentation is. I'm pretty sure we know its current state. If I spent .1% of my development time writing documentation, that would be about 10 seconds. Instead of big time consuming howtos (which I hate to write and don't have time to write), I put notes in the plugins that help you use it. There are thousands of people using OMV. It would be nice if more people using OMV would write howtos. I know there are a few on the internet. And while some howtos are old, pretty much the same workflow still works that worked on OMV 0.5.

Here is the most basic workflow for a Windows user:

• install omv
    • shutdown and install data drive(s)
    • start OMV
    • login to web interface
    • change web interface password in System -> General Settings -> Web Administrator Password and save
    • Change timezone in System -> Date & Time and save
    • click apply
    • Click Check in System -> Update Management
    • Select all packages by clicking on top checkbox and click Upgrade in System -> Update Management
    • Reboot
    • login to web interface
    • Create filesystems on each drive in Storage -> File Systems by clicking Create, giving it a name. default EXT4 should be fine
    • Once each filesystem is complete, click mount
    • Once all filesystems are mounted, click apply
    • Create needed users in Access Rights Management -> User
    • Create Shared folders in Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders
    • Select each shared folder and click Privileges button in Access Rights Management -> Shared Folders to give each user the appropriate permissions for each shared folder
    • Enable Samba in Service -> SMB/CIFS -> Settings and save
    • Create shares using previously created shared folders in Services -> SMB/CIFS -> Shares
    • Click apply

You should now have a functional server to backup files to from Windows and Linux.

I know this doesn't count as documentation since it is forum post...

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• sorry but I just have to down-vote the last post from dabeegmon

first of all what are you talking about when you say "no help" , "no setup info", "this is software for computer experts only."
    I am by no means of imagination an expert in Linux or in OMV particularly.
    I have some light experience in dealing with Linux as I have been playing around with it for the last couple of years,trying to find a good server OS for my home File/VM server setup.
    I also converted my home PC to Linux and have been supporting it for the same couple of years.

IF I do not know something I google it. and almost always find an answer that works. it might take me a day or two but I will find it.

now back to your post.

First Of all, what are your issue(s)?
    you say you have been ruing Linux for some times, than shouldn't you be able to figure out how to do things on a Linux system.

as mentioned above I have consider my self green when it comes to Linux, yet I have been able to setup OMV machines for testing 10 times now using only google and this forum for help.
    there are plenty posts out there describing everything from how to install it to how to configure each and every plugin the is available (at very least 98% of plugins as some of them are just simple install scripts to install the soft, then you just configure it using the apps own interface)

nobody can tell you how to setup your system, each and every install is different.

for example:

My needs/wants are:
    A basic Server for Home network, that can be used as
    A File server and a VM server that host several VM for utilitarian needs.
    I am a avid supporter of compartmentalization of tasks,
    so I want a VM for my Downloads and media processing needs (get and organize my media collection to be served to HTPC)
    a VM for my SAS dev needs (my wife is SAS Data Analyst and dev)
    a VM for my Media streaming need

the only unit that should be poling double duty is the main Server as it needs to be a File Server to hold and host all my storage and a VM server to run a hyperviser to run all my VMs

and guess what, OMV can do all that and it is the easiest system to setup and manage, I found so far.
    and it should mean something coming from essentially Linux noob.

Think about that for a second....

PS>> and for all people on this board, my big and honest thanks and respect.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• ryecoaaron>> I wonder why you guys do not encorage to install OMV from with in a base debian setup as I found here? I just did several runs of this setup for testing and it actually works better than my tests using the install ISO. it seams more stable some how, and does not take much longer than ISO install.
    but it also give someone like me and option on setting up the system on raid-1 System drive using guide herewith out problems.nice and easy.

I love it...

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

It should be about the same. The installer iso is supposed to make it easier for the noob who may not know what/how to partition and/or what packages to install. I have used both many times and I end up using the OMV install ISO most of the time because it installs less packages than the most minimal install with the Debian ISO.

If it works better for you and you don't mind executing the six commands after install Debian, then use that method :) I have no problem with that as long as you don't install a desktop environment :)

• Wow, this guy dabeegmon is really impatience and has anger issue.
    Back then when I know only a little of Linux, and began to use OMV, I struggled a little because of Linux commands.
    But I still managed to installed and running OMV fine.
    My first struggle was I installed via a USB that gave me an error, but then I started searched for solutions and help from this forum, I got it working.
    Anyway, if I were him, I would do some more diligent research about OMV.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Yeah, this guy dbeeg is so ridiculous. I am so immune to idiots like this from my gaming days. You gotta just laugh. But it is also why I don't share my real name online anymore. There are crazy people out there. I used to get death threats when I gamed.

All the mods donate their time. We don't owe anyone anything.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!