Install OMV with manual partitioning

• Hello,
    I think this is my first post here, and it could have typo errors due to my foreign origin.

I've been using OMV for a long time, because I think it is the best NAS distro (for my needs), and I've installed/updated it many times.
    I know it's possible to install it into a pre-installed debian, but if I can avoid it, i would.

Whenever I try to install it, if the system has >1 disk, the wizard asks wich disk to use, but if there's only 1 disk it makes fully automated partitioning.

Personally I dislike this setting, I wish (would like) it was like (pure) debian's install wizard, where you can choose auto/manual/raid/lmv/luks... at the appropiate wizard step (hard disk config).

I'm in the point I'd like to install OMV over LMV or software RAID so,
    Is there any *easy* way to do it? (Manually disk partitioning during the installation. Eg. GRUB parameters o so)

Thanks, and Thank you very much to all the people who put any effort to help/enhance this project.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is no way to do that with the OMV install ISO. Why not use the Debian installer then? There is not much difference. Create your partition/lv layout, pick minimal install, and installing OMV after that is very simple:

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    apt-get update
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There is no way to do that with the OMV install ISO. Why not use the Debian installer then? There is not much difference. Create your partition/lv layout, pick minimal install, and installing OMV after that is very simple:

Bash
    echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public erasmus main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get update
    omv-initsystem

Thank you so much ryecoaaron, I'll try this way.
    I'll mark this thread as resolved.

• Hi,

sorry for putting this one "activ" again - but i have a question about ryecoaaron's answer just for clarification:

The mentioned way above is for OMV3 "Erasmus" @ Debian 8 "Jessie", right?

-> Will it work the same way for Debian 7 "Wheezy" / OMV 2 "Stone burner" too?

Background of this question is to find a way, to install very stable OMV2 on modern mainboards with Intel's 219 NIC's. If the latest "oldstable" minimal-install-cd-iso contains the last official kernel-upgrade (v3.2.0) that will work (LKKDB lists the 219ers on v3.2.0)

Thanks in advantage!

Sc0rp

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, you have always been able to install omv using this method. Just substitute erasmus for the version you are installing on.

omv 0.5 -> sardaukar -> squeeze
    omv 1.x -> kralizec -> wheezy
    omv 2.x -> stoneburner -> wheezy
    omv 3.x -> erasmus -> jessie

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• so to clarify a bit, if I want to use OMV v2 I have to install Debian 7
    and for v3. I have to install Debian 8, right?

if I do "stoneburner " on Deb 8 (jessie) it will not work

• echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public stoneburner main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    • apt-get update
    • apt-get install openmediavault
    • omv-initsystem

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

Correct. Version of OMV are dependent on the version of Debian listed on my chart. Don't waste your time trying a different mix.

• just want to add this link for recording purposes. Installing Debian on System RAID-1 Disk
    I got curious after reading this post and did some googling :)
    this is very good and easy setup.

also it seams to me so far that actually installing OMV on a pre-build Debian system actually works better.
    somehow it feels more stable and responsive when compared to install from ISO. at least on my Test VMs
    I had build one using 2.2 ISO
    and one installing Debian 7 first and than following the directions above for 2.2.x setup.
    all things being equal, same Hyper-V server same basic VM settings ,one built using the Deb install first, works better than one using ISO.
    can't wrap my head around this one...

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• There is no way to do that with the OMV install ISO. Why not use the Debian installer then? There is not much difference. Create your partition/lv layout, pick minimal install, and installing OMV after that is very simple:

Bash
    apt-get update
    apt-get update
    omv-initsystem

i tried installing omv 3 on a debian 8 installation with a desktop environment on a test machine and it seems to work fine for now, but should i expect there be any problems you know of that would be associated with having a desktop environment installed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard to say. I haven't tried OMV 3.x with a desktop environment. There were definitely issues with OMV 2.x and desktop environments.

• Hard to say. I haven't tried OMV 3.x with a desktop environment. There were definitely issues with OMV 2.x and desktop environments.

what kind of issues?

becourse i see potetials here, one is that i can acces the webui from the local machine so i wont have to power up a second machine (and regardles of my networks status) not to mention other advantages of a desktop, like beeing able to drag and drop for copying/moving files or like editing partitions from gparted instead of using the webui.

i also installed kodi for testing and it also seems to work well at the same time ... obviusly i have no idea if this will continue to run fine, but so far i only noticed an ssl error from iceweasel every once in a while, but i havent had time to look at it further.

• Hi,

mixing a server/service function with desktop/local use is breaking up both concepts.

But if you want a graphical Desktop on your machine, why would you use OMV too? Most services have a GUI-Interface under most desktop environments, so for local working OMV is not needed.

How often do you think:
    - will you "editing partitions" on your NAS?
    - will you move files between the storage space (singular! / which is mostly and extra arrayed in one big part in case of the NAS function)?
    (and this special doing can interference with some overlay filesystems)

If you need a workstation, built a workstation (without OMV).

Sc0rp

• Offizieller Beitrag

what kind of issues?
    becourse i see potetials here, one is that i can acces the webui from the local machine so i wont have to power up a second machine (and regardles of my networks status) not to mention other advantages of a desktop, like beeing able to drag and drop for copying/moving files or like editing partitions from gparted instead of using the webui.

i also installed kodi for testing and it also seems to work well at the same time ... obviusly i have no idea if this will continue to run fine, but so far i only noticed an ssl error from iceweasel every once in a while, but i havent had time to look at it further.

Off the top of my head... Package conflicts. Random web interface issues. Plugins not working correctly. Other services from the desktop environment changing configs that OMV maintains.

Bash
    apt-get update
    apt-get update
    omv-initsystem

@ryecoaaron Thank you for all your contributions and am loving the OMV community and platform. I had a few quick questions regarding Debian Minimal install to have control over partitioning the disk. I have settled on using a 525GB SSD that I want to create 3 partitions for:

a) 25GB - System Disk (Debian/OMV)
    b) 150GB - Uploads/Downloads
    c) 350GB - Plex User Data For Plex

(1) Is a 25GB system partition large enough for a system with 64GB of RAM? Should it be larger?
    (2) Should the 150GB and 350GB partitions be formatted in ext4?

Thank you again!

Best,

Kane

3.0.56 (Erasmus) - OMV Extras 3 (Stable)
    AsRock Rack C72504DI
    64GB Crucial ECC Ram
    8x4TB WD40EFRX
    4X4TB HMS5C4040x
    Crucial 525GB SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is a 25GB system partition large enough for a system with 64GB of RAM? Should it be larger?

64GB? Are you going to have virtual machines on it? I have OMV installed on smaller system partitions than 25GB. So, that should be fine. You may or may not want to have a swap partition. I wouldn't create separate partitions for the 150 and 350. Make it one big one and just create separate shared folders. ext4 is a good choice.

• 64GB? Are you going to have virtual machines on it? I have OMV installed on smaller system partitions than 25GB. So, that should be fine. You may or may not want to have a swap partition. I wouldn't create separate partitions for the 150 and 350. Make it one big one and just create separate shared folders. ext4 is a good choice.

@ryecoaaron you guessed it! i am going to run a few VMs on it as well as hosting a plex server that will be transcoding to a few clients all at the same time. thank you for your suggestion on creating just one big partition. A few more questions:

1) Are there any other formats other than ext4 that you would recommend?
    2) Would a swap partition of 8GB be sufficient for a system with 64GB of RAM?

3.0.56 (Erasmus) - OMV Extras 3 (Stable)
    AsRock Rack C72504DI
    64GB Crucial ECC Ram
    8x4TB WD40EFRX
    4X4TB HMS5C4040x
    Crucial 525GB SSD

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are there any other formats other than ext4 that you would recommend?

Not really. ext4 works in pretty much every case.

Would a swap partition of 8GB be sufficient for a system with 64GB of RAM?

Yep. That is the size of my swap on my main Proxmox box that has 64 GB of ram.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!