FTP instead of SMB to share across multiple Devices over LAN and VPN

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mapping ftp to drives is only possible in Windows using third party software iirc.
    You can have ftp and samba at the same time, over Vpn and on Lan.
    I would recommend sftp If you want to avoid vpn use, which is another layer of configuration.

• Mapping ftp to drives is only possible in Windows using third party software iirc.
    You can have ftp and samba at the same time, over Vpn and on Lan.
    I would recommend sftp If you want to avoid vpn use, which is another layer of configuration.

So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?

Would I then just need to change the ssh Port to something not obvious and Port forward it on the router?

What's the security like on that though?

• Re,

So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?

SCP uses the SSH-Protocol stack (it's implemented)

Security issus with ssh and portforwarding ... always a special use case ;)

SSH ist always more secure as ftp or ftps (which implementation is crude), but you can do something ofr better sec.:
    - use keybased auth
    - use Fail2Ban (or denyhost)
    Both features makes it securec enough, i think. And you can use this construct with scripts (rsynch cronjobs e.g.)

But if you need more sec, you have to use VPN instead (with a real performant VPN-AS machine).

Sc0rp

• I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.

It would be a nice security extra at the moment though.

• Hi,

I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.

Since OMV is based on Debian, you can always install software besides the OMV Plugin space ;).
    I would try to install Fail2Ban via console ... and use it, until a valuable plugin is available.
    (then you can uninstall it via console and use the plugin further ...)

Sc0rp

• Hi,

Since OMV is based on Debian, you can always install software besides the OMV Plugin space ;).
    I would try to install Fail2Ban via console ... and use it, until a valuable plugin is available.
    (then you can uninstall it via console and use the plugin further ...)

Sc0rp

I did that with some of the other software I normally use but I wasn't sure about fail2ban as I wasn't sure how it interacted with the system.

• Re,

I did that with some of the other software I normally use but I wasn't sure about fail2ban as I wasn't sure how it interacted with the system.

Okay,
    Fail2Ban (and denyhosts) work the same way: they track the login process success codes - if there was something odd, they'll put the source-ip-address in the "hosts.deny" file, which ban's this ip-address from beeing processed further more, and the Plugin "only displays" you the config-file ... with the ability to change the values ;). Fail2Ban It will work exactly the same way ;)
    (F2B keep's track for the entries himself, because it will remove them after the configured time automaticly)

Sc0rp

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!