FTP instead of SMB to share across multiple Devices over LAN and VPN

    • OMV 3.x

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • FTP instead of SMB to share across multiple Devices over LAN and VPN

      As it says in the title.

      I'd also like if I could add in some encryption, but really I just want users to be able to Download/Copy or even upload using Mapping Networking drives without 3rd party software as much as I can.

      SMB is annoying to setup and use with different OS's when I have people over and I want to share files.
    • Mapping ftp to drives is only possible in Windows using third party software iirc.
      You can have ftp and samba at the same time, over Vpn and on Lan.
      I would recommend sftp If you want to avoid vpn use, which is another layer of configuration.
      chat support at #openmediavault@freenode IRC | Spanish & English | GMT+10
      telegram.me/openmediavault broadcast channel
      openmediavault discord server
    • subzero79 wrote:

      Mapping ftp to drives is only possible in Windows using third party software iirc.
      You can have ftp and samba at the same time, over Vpn and on Lan.
      I would recommend sftp If you want to avoid vpn use, which is another layer of configuration.

      Sc0rp wrote:

      Hi,

      nooo, it possible under Linux too ... of course ;)

      German Guide / English Guide

      Btw. sftp ist not like ftp ;)
      (be sure you didn't mix this up ftp -> ftps (like http -> https) and sftp ist like scp (ssh), for sftp you don't need another server-deamon besides sshd)

      Sc0rp
      So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?

      Would I then just need to change the ssh Port to something not obvious and Port forward it on the router?

      What's the security like on that though?
    • Re,

      Pheoxy wrote:

      So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?
      SCP uses the SSH-Protocol stack (it's implemented)

      Security issus with ssh and portforwarding ... always a special use case ;)

      SSH ist always more secure as ftp or ftps (which implementation is crude), but you can do something ofr better sec.:
      - use keybased auth
      - use Fail2Ban (or denyhost)
      Both features makes it securec enough, i think. And you can use this construct with scripts (rsynch cronjobs e.g.)

      But if you need more sec, you have to use VPN instead (with a real performant VPN-AS machine).

      Sc0rp
    • Sc0rp wrote:

      Re,

      Pheoxy wrote:

      So like I've been using WinSCP over ssh?
      SCP uses the SSH-Protocol stack (it's implemented)
      Security issus with ssh and portforwarding ... always a special use case ;)

      SSH ist always more secure as ftp or ftps (which implementation is crude), but you can do something ofr better sec.:
      - use keybased auth
      - use Fail2Ban (or denyhost)
      Both features makes it securec enough, i think. And you can use this construct with scripts (rsynch cronjobs e.g.)

      But if you need more sec, you have to use VPN instead (with a real performant VPN-AS machine).

      Sc0rp
      I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.

      It would be a nice security extra at the moment though.
    • Hi,

      Pheoxy wrote:

      I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.

      Since OMV is based on Debian, you can always install software besides the OMV Plugin space ;).
      I would try to install Fail2Ban via console ... and use it, until a valuable plugin is available.
      (then you can uninstall it via console and use the plugin further ...)

      Sc0rp
    • Sc0rp wrote:

      Hi,

      Pheoxy wrote:

      I used Fail2Ban, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be in the openmediavault 3.0.29 repos yet so it might be unstable and I'm not wanting to test it as I just got everything setup.
      Since OMV is based on Debian, you can always install software besides the OMV Plugin space ;).
      I would try to install Fail2Ban via console ... and use it, until a valuable plugin is available.
      (then you can uninstall it via console and use the plugin further ...)

      Sc0rp
      I did that with some of the other software I normally use but I wasn't sure about fail2ban as I wasn't sure how it interacted with the system.
    • Re,

      Pheoxy wrote:

      I did that with some of the other software I normally use but I wasn't sure about fail2ban as I wasn't sure how it interacted with the system.
      Okay,
      Fail2Ban (and denyhosts) work the same way: they track the login process success codes - if there was something odd, they'll put the source-ip-address in the "hosts.deny" file, which ban's this ip-address from beeing processed further more, and the Plugin "only displays" you the config-file ... with the ability to change the values ;). Fail2Ban It will work exactly the same way ;)
      (F2B keep's track for the entries himself, because it will remove them after the configured time automaticly)

      Sc0rp