Folder with Unmlaut (ä, ö, ü) are not shown in SMB/CIFS shares

• Hi

I have a SMB share (which contains a file name with ü (Die Brücke). This folder is not visible when I mount the SMB share from OS X (El Capitan).

When ssh into the OMV server cd into the shared folder and execute

Bash
    $ ls -la
    drwxrwxr-x+  5 rainerkrug plex   4096 Apr  4 10:48 Die Bru??cke - Transit in den Tod

with ?? instead of the ü, but when

Bash
    $ ls -la | grep Br
    drwxrwxr-x+  5 rainerkrug plex   4096 Apr  4 10:48 Die Brücke - Transit in den Tod
    rainerkrug@mm-server:/media/Media/TVSeries$

My locales on the OMV are are set as follow:

The locale on the Mac (client) is:

Code
    $ locale
    LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"

Is this a problem of the client or the OMV server? How can I make the client see the folder?

Thanks,

Rainer

• Linux file names are not encoded / decoded in the file system driver, but written as bytes. You have to tell the client how to interpret them.
    I had this with my sat receiver and ended up telling the client to mount with iocharset encoding set to utf-8

sudo mount -t cifs //omv/sharename /media/sharename -o username=username,password=password,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

Do you have a similair option in OS X (I am not using a Mac)

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

• Zoki: not that I know of - at not easily.

But I found the following thread https://lists.samba.org/archiv…2014-December/187568.html which suggests use https://www.mankier.com/8/vfs_fruit and to add

Code
    vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
    fruit:resource = file
    fruit:metadata = netatalk
    fruit:locking = netatalk
    fruit:encoding = native

to the share definition. I tried to add this to the share's config. I added these in the Additional Options box in the SMB/cifs share definition, but after h=that, I couldn't access the share anymore.

How can I use vfs_fruit in openmediavault?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!