Question & Discussion​ about KVM + WebvirtMgr

• hello luxflow,

I have been playing with setting up KVM and webvirtmngr on OMV for a bit.
    I found a way to install this in Hyper-V VM to test.

few things first,
    I am using the latest OMV 3.0.34
    fully updated.

I executed all steps from the how-to post with one issue, that is the very first step "apt-get install" has a "-t" option in it
    that was not working and I had to remove it. after that all had installed beautifully.

once all steps are run, I restarted the server.
    had to add rule to firewall to allow the 8000 port. and change the manager conf to allow all IPs "0.0.0.0:8000"
    otherwise could not connect to webvirtmanager UI.
    this is a minor annoyance at this time as I am testing it in VM but on real server it will be a critical security issue so will have to figure out how to do this properly.

now I can login to the UI but on every page I get a message "unable to connect to server at '192.168.1.69:16509': Connection refused" and can not do any config there at all

do you have any idea of what have I done wrong?

thanks

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

I executed all steps from the how-to post with one issue, that is the very first step "apt-get install" has a "-t" option in it
    that was not working and I had to remove it. after that all had installed beautifully.

You need to have the backports repo enabled for this to work. If you install the backports kernel from omv-extras, it automatically does this. Otherwise,

echo "deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• echo "deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main contrib non-free" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list

ok, thanks
    but why would it work with "-t" option removed than?
    or are you saying that it did not install properly with that option removed from install command?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but why would it work with "-t" option removed than?

It uses the versions of those packages (if available) from the standard repo instead of the backports repo. I assume luxflow just wanted a more current version of kvm.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I assume luxflow just wanted a more current version of kvm.

That's right, thanks for explanation instead me.
    I personally prefer to use more recent package version
    But if you don't want that's okay to remove -t

OMV3 on Proxmox
    Intel E3-1245 v5 | 32GB ECC RAM | 4x3TB RAID10 HDD
    omv-zfs | omv-nginx | omv-letsencrypt | omv-openvpn
    Click link for more details

• it is not that I din't want to :)
    just my test vm is not running back-port kernel, my actual server is not running one either for that matter,
    ever since I installed OMV 3.0 the base kernel has everything I needed as is.

so the repo was not enabled and it was simply giving me package not found error
    I removed "-t" option on a whim and it worked, hence I asked if it was OK.

BTW, your HOW-TO does not have any prerequisite / preliminary setup steps of any kind.
    can I assume that no special steps need to be performed for setup to work.
    I mean , I do not need to setup a special user/group on OMV side to use with KVM and webvirtmanager
    no need to create a bridge or any special networking setup beforehand etc...

I just installed OMV on Debian 8 using the how-to,
    added the extras repo, done the updates.
    and than your setup.
    I only have one user which is also a root user on the system.
    setting up users and permission is always an issue for me when it comes to Linux based setup.
    somehow it is a bit confusing

• You can setup network for your needs network tab in webvirtmgr (usually NAT or bridge)
    This setting is very simple and easy I didn't put it in manual
    Network setup is recommended or you should manually edit XML to enable network whenever create new VM

`www-data` user run webvirtmanager (it is what I guided in manual)
    `libvirtd` user run libvirt and qemu (it is debian package default behavior)

Yeah setting up users and permission is little complex
    But it is applied all area, you must read good manual (sadly I have no idea what is best guide)

OMV3 on Proxmox

• well that's the thing I do not see the libvirtd user anywhere.
    I figured out the www-data although it is a group

and like I said, on my test VM I can not connect to the main server from webvirtmngr UI
    I get an error " connection refused" every screen I go, that is why I asked if any special configuration is needed to be done before I run your install. I even went into OMV firewall settings and added ports 8000 and 16509 to accept rule. yet no luck

• you can see all user in system `cat /etc/passwd`
    In OMV 3.0, libvirt-qemu will be there, you can also check ps aux | grep libvirt
    `www-data` is username and also is group name

And for `connection refused` issue, do you mean vnc feature right?
    First use connection libvirt via `local socket`
    If your network is in NAT environment, port forwarding is needed (port forwarding 6080 which is websocket)

OMV3 on Proxmox

• ok, I am posting this as an FYI for now as I simply do not have time to spend on this at the moment.
    it seams that some thing with webvirtmanager is not compatible with OMV 3.0.34
    I thought I did something wrong last time that created an issue with network and other things.
    so I reloaded my test VM a new, new install of Debian 8 with all updates.
    setup OMV on it. all worked just fine.
    as soon as I installed KVM+webvirtmanager, I start getting issues with networking.
    random disconnects, loosing IP.
    the more I tried to fix the more problems come up.
    I have ended up with a totally unusable VM incapable of getting IP.
    even omv-firstaid could not fix the issue.
    so I will scrap this project for now until I have more time to figure out what is happening.
    virtualbox is working and it is good enough for me right now.

• it seams that some thing with webvirtmanager is not compatible with OMV 3.0.34

I currently using webvirtmanager with OMV 3.0.34, so I think it is not OMV issue

Since I don't know about your network setting I cannot help you, sorry
    If you have willing to retry, reply with your networks settings.

OMV3 on Proxmox

• could be because I am running in VM ?!

my config is (and I had to manually edit the /etc/network/interface file to get the network up)
    and I reiterate that this is a test VM system under Hyper-V. Gen-1
    I specifically created last week. added the nested virtualization option in Hyper-V
    installed Debian 8 Jessie today from scratch.
    installed OMV using how-to from this forum.
    installed kvm and webvirt manager as per your how-to step by step.
    can not figure out why it would not work as expected.

although I do have a some what strange question, what setup I should use when asked to create superuser?

================================================================================
    = OS/Debian information
    ================================================================================
    Distributor ID: debian
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)
    Release: 8.5
    Codename: jessie

= openmediavault information
    Release: 3.0.34
    Codename: Erasmus

= Date
    Fri Sep 9 13:54:44 EDT 2016

= Hostname
    Deb8Omv3

= Locale
    en_US.UTF-8

= System information
    Linux deb8omv3 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.36-1+deb8u1 (2016-09-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

Dateien

• Ok, since I had my VM up to get some info for the last post, I figure I try few things.
    thank you for your help. FYI I did figure out few things in the process.

#1. I did a manual network setup by editing /etc/network/interfaces file
    and configuring eth0 interface.
    than I could login to webUI, but no interfaces was present in the network section.
    I added the interface via UI saved it and it now sticks.
    so far so good. it even survived 2 reboots

not sure what the issue was before but it is working so far.

#2. I loged-on to webvirtmanager UI and tried setting up the connections for interface.
    the only one setup worked when I choose Type: [ SOCKET ] Host: localhost
    it is connecting to the server and can see all the stats.
    was able to setup storage and default network.
    but the only network interface I can use is what was created by KVM virbr0 192.168.122.0/24

the VMs are isolated to that network. I can not create a bridge no matter what I try.

is there any way I can connect my vms to the actual network?
    or since all my setup is in VM and I only have 1 NIC on it it is not possible?

• 1. Nested VM is not good idea in both performance and compatibility issue
    I didn't test it on nested VM. I don't know why you use nested VM but I recommend not to use nested VM
    I think nested VM is cause for your problem

2. For bridging issue,
    I googled, I found this
    link link2

TLDR; did you turn on mac spoofing in hyper-v guest network setting?
    if not work after turning on mac spoofing
    you may need to additional NIC and passthrough using SR-IOV to support bridging but I'm not sure since I don't use hyper-v

3. Superuser for webvirtmgr can be anything you want, It is just account for web ui

OMV3 on Proxmox

• I am not worry about performance as I use this set-up only to test basic functionality. Like what to expect during install, or test how to set-up omv on raid drive, etc...

I understand that there might be some incompatibility here and there .
    Problem is I do not have extra hardware to test all this. I also some times have some free time during workday that I can use to check things out. Even though I use omv for home set-up, things I learn often enough help me with my work tasks. So I concider this time well spend.
    Things I have learned while playing with vms in hyper v helped me set-up preaty decent hyper v cluster for work.
    Also I do not expect to use nested vms for anything . But the fact that I could set-up and run the VM inside enouther VM is mindbuggling in it self, I only heard of such things being possible.
    Let me extend a thank you again for your efforts in figureing out how to do this and sharing it with us.
    Terrific job.

Sent from my phone

• Sent from my phone

• I gave webvirtmgr a try:

I can now access the WebGUI. What is the login and password? what I typed during installation?

when I'm inserting this I get this screen:

Where Can I add a VM??
    edit: Ah ok, I had to create a Local connection. Done.
    How can I add a LVM or something? Because it will give me the location where OMV is installed, but I want to use a different SSD and it tells me ""Please keep to the specified format" what is the specified format??

If I want to create a "DIR" I get "cannot open path '/media/48bd69fc-8889-4ba3-9d24-a3baa318c019/VM/Webvirtmgr': File or Folder not found"

Even after creating it...

edit2: created it again and it works

edit3: next Problem: I cannot create a VM:

Code
    internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2016-10-13T10:22:41.127836Z qemu-system-x86_64: -drive if=none,id=drive-ide0-1-1,readonly=on,format=raw: Can't use 'raw' as a block driver for the protocol level

And how can I add a bridged Networkadapter? If I do it I got an error (something about not connected to an interface or something like that)

• do not use the webvirtmanager interface for networking.
    big issue is that OMV does not support bridging.so you will need to create bridge manually by editing the /etc/network/interface file in OMV and just use that bridge for KVM. I tried creating bridge in WEBVIRT UI and it did not work for me as well. this is small by irritating limitation of OMV+KVM setup.
    I mean I am not even sure why is it so difficult to include bridge connection in OMV, it is jut but a file edit.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!