can not install Clonezilla or any other rescue option on OMV 3.0.30

• hi.

I have been trying to install Clonezilla on my test OMB 3.0.30 and it fails with this message.
    there is a Clonezilla option on the boot menu but boot fails with "cannot find image" error

I tried all the rescue options and the same thing except that other ones are actually seams to be going through the motion of downloading somethings and such, the clonezilla comes up with the message right a way.
    I am attaching the screen print from my attempt to boot from SystemRescueCD
    and clonezilla.

the Clonezilla hungsup on screen1 for like a minute than continues untuill hitting screen2
    Gparted does the same thing as clonezilla.

I am attaching all screen prints and a system info report

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't work correctly because you are using a non-standard system drive (btrfs) and grub can't/has issues with booting ISOs from btrfs. Not much I can do to fix this.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ohh, I see.
    well I''ll be damned!

ok, at this moment I do not remember what I used for my actual setup, this was just my Test VM install.
    I will check my hardware server for what I used and I might need to rebuild the damn thing with EXT4 instead. I thought it needed the LVM to work.

I used BTRFS on system drive just to see if it works.
    I do not really care what FS to use on system drive, I only want the RAID-1 config.

let me try to rebuild on regular FS and see if that is the case.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• If you installed btrfs just plain root it should work. If you installed into subvolumes then there comes the problem. If you don't know really what you're doing with btrfs use ext4.

first of all, I did not install into subvolumes intentionally. I chosed btrfs as FS for the md0 device during install. what ever the default process used it was used.

Second, I have been using btrfs for a while, just not with this kind of setup and how should have I to know that for me to use clonezilla or other back up solutions in OMV btrfs would be an issue?
    any reasonable assumption would be that if it is available on default installer and if it installs and run fine than it should work with any stable and released modules available on the system.
    I did not come here to B@#CH about something not working, I simply thought that if this is an issue than some one on dev team should now about it, and if this is something with my setup I might get help in resolving the issue.
    if this is normal behavior and BTRFS is not supported as root OS than it should be disclosed some where.
    it is not a deal breaker over all. and for me personally.
    I need/want btrfs support for my data drives but system drives I could care less what FS I use as long as it works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

easy there....

btrfs is fine for the system drive. It is the omv-extras plugin (and maybe grub) that doesn't configure the system correctly to handle booting ISOs from btrfs. I will have to look at it when I get time. You can still boot clonezilla from usb until I get something figured out.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• thanks ryecoaaron, but like I said it is not what I would call "Mission Critical"
    not many people actually use BTRFS for system drives that much, and not many people
    actually setup OMV on existing Debian install that much either I would guess.

I had come across the "issue" and put it here. so it can be here as an FYI for devs to be aware of it.
    when you have time to fix it/if you have time to fix it you get there.
    I Understand that my assumption is my assumption. and it is not that big of a deal anyhow.

I did not get chance to check my home setup last night so I am not sure what I used there.
    if I did use btrfs fo system drive I will simply re-install again. it is not up and running yet so no big deal.
    it took me ohh all of 20 min to get the system setup from scratch. so I spend that 20 min again.
    suck it up as practice and experience :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It was helpful considering I have bugtracker feature request of using lvm or btrfs for the system drive :)

I just tested booting clonezilla and gparted live on a vm and they both failed. So, it isn't a btrfs issue (i think). I updated the versions of clonezilla and gparted live that are downloaded without checking to see if they needed new boot parameters. So, I will have to fix this.

• I did not think it was a BTRFS issue,
    rather that boot loader for the rescue images do not support the setup.
    the error is a bit confusing as it mentions the lvm or something like it.
    if I have to guess, it simply that the kernel used for booting on this rescue images does not support complex file systems
    like btrfs yet. doles it actually use Grub ? or Grub2?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The ISO boot parameters are telling it to use AUFS and it is no longer used on the ISOs. I haven't tested yet but I don't think it has anything to do with btrfs. Give me a couple of days to figure it out.

• take as much time as you want :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a feature I use. So, there is more incentive for me to fix it :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras updated. 3.3.6 in repo. gparted live and clonezilla are working again. They even boot from btrfs root partition. Didn't try subvolume though.

• Thank you for the fast fixing.
    If have tested it with OMV 3.0.26beta Download. Updated to 3.0.30 and OMV-extras 3.3.6.
    Now it is booting again. Tested with Clonezilla and GPparted.

BUT, in clonezilla the boot partition can't be selected as source partiton to backup (device-imgae, local_dev, saveparts).
    Target is an USB device.
    Seems the boot-system partition stays mounted.
    Error: No existing partitons or no unmounted partitons are found.

Productive OMV 2.x on iomega iConnect (Marvel Kirkwood 1 Core ARM CPU @1GHz, 250MB RAM), Debian Wheezy, Kernel 3.17.1 (congenio)
    Test OMV 3.x on iomega iConnect (Marvel Kirkwood 1 Core ARM CPU @1GHz, 250MB RAM), Debian Jessie, Kernel 4.4.2 (congenio)
    Test2 OMV 3.x on Intel NUC i3 (Intel i3-5010, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel SSD), OMV 3.0.51beta

• Offizieller Beitrag

Fixed in omv-extras 3.3.7. I forgot to load the image to ram so the OS partition could be unmounted.

• Yes, now in Clonezilla the OMV boot partition can be selected as source partition.
    Backup is working as expected.

Thank you!

Productive OMV 2.x on iomega iConnect (Marvel Kirkwood 1 Core ARM CPU @1GHz, 250MB RAM), Debian Wheezy, Kernel 3.17.1 (congenio)
    Test OMV 3.x on iomega iConnect (Marvel Kirkwood 1 Core ARM CPU @1GHz, 250MB RAM), Debian Jessie, Kernel 4.4.2 (congenio)
    Test2 OMV 3.x on Intel NUC i3 (Intel i3-5010, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel SSD), OMV 3.0.51beta

• thanks for all your work.
    and just an FYI I also figure out that that clonzilla boot does not work with raided OS drive properly.
    I have tried several different installs using btrfs and ext4 for OS drive
    and all my setups where OS was on raid-1 (mdadm devices) clonzilla or gparted could not boot up successfully. the boot process was getting stuck on one place or the other.

A single drive install using ext4 works as expected. I can boot clonzilla and do what ever needed.
    I did not try the single drive with btrfs as of yet.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have tried a single btrfs drive and it works. I will look at raid1 devices.

• just so you know, I do a Debian 8 install and setup raid-1 OS drive during it, then I install OMV in CLI.
    if it makes any difference.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!