Plex plugin installation fails

• I was able to get plex to install by following these instructions:

1) apt-get purge openmediavault-plexmediaserver plexmediaserver
    2) rm -rf /var/lib/plexmediaserver/
    3) userdel plex
    4) groupdel plex

Then...

5) apt-get install openmediavault-plexmediaserver

And I'm not sure 5 is necessary but I did do it. Anyways now the service fails to start. Here is the log file:

• Ok so I was able to fix this. I uninstalled Plex through the OMV plug in manager. Then through SSH did steps 1 through 4 above. Then instead of step 5 I reinstalled plex through the OMV plugin manager. Plex seems to be working now.

• This also worked for me with not doing step 5 and just reinstalling through the web gui

• This also worked for me with not doing step 5 and just reinstalling through the web gui

Ok so I was able to fix this. I uninstalled Plex through the OMV plug in manager. Then through SSH did steps 1 through 4 above. Then instead of step 5 I reinstalled plex through the OMV plugin manager. Plex seems to be working now.

This worked for me too! Man, OMV community is the best!

• i tried these steps but still get

• Failed to execute XPath query '//services/plexmediaserver'.
    • Error #0:exception 'OMV\Config\DatabaseException' with message 'Failed to execute XPath query '//services/plexmediaserver'.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78Stack trace:#0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/plexmediaserver.inc(58): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.service.pl...')#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/services.inc(56): OMVModulePlexMediaServer->getStatus()#2 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceServices->getStatus(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('getStatus', Array, Array)#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Services', 'getStatus', Array, Array, 1)#6 {main}

im on omv 3.0.89

From the install

• Selecting previously unselected package plexmediaserver.
    • (Reading database ... 89136 files and directories currently installed.)
    • Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.9.4.4325-1bf240a65_amd64.deb ...
    • Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.9.4.4325-1bf240a65) ...
    • Setting up plexmediaserver (1.9.4.4325-1bf240a65) ...
    • Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
    • Job for plexmediaserver.service failed. See 'systemctl status plexmediaserver.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
    • dpkg: error processing package plexmediaserver (--install):
    • subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    • Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
    • Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
    • Errors were encountered while processing:
    • plexmediaserver
    • systemctl status plexmediaserver.service
    • â plexmediaserver.service - Plex Media Server for Linux
    • Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service; enabled)
    • Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Tue 2017-10-17 12:36:53 BST; 5min ago
    • Process: 18592 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c /usr/bin/test -d "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" || /bin/mkdir -p "${PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR}" (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    • Oct 17 12:36:47 systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
    • Oct 17 12:36:47 systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
    • Oct 17 12:36:47 systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: Stopping Plex Media Server for Linux...
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service start request repeated too quickly, refusing to start.
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
    • Oct 17 12:36:53 systemd[1]: Unit plexmediaserver.service entered failed state.
  • Hi all,

Jus a little tip... if it can help someone.

I was fighting against the exact same problem since 2 days and I finally managed to solve it.

Il followed the exact steps above many times without success until I suspected UnionFS; I was trying to place the Library on my UnionFS merged mount point.
    From the moment I tried to put it directly on a "real" drive mount point, it worked like a charm!

Hope it will solve some problems as it solved mine ;)

Thanks for your GREAT help... I wouldn't have been able to solve my problems without you all :)

• Plex was working fine for a long time, and 2 days ago I got Transcoder error on my Shield TV and WEB Player. I tried to reinstall few times and struggled with same issue like others, and finally this last 4 steps helped me. Which was quite odd even the docker version of Plex had a transcoder errors.
    Thanks guys!

• Plex was working fine for a long time, and 2 days ago I got Transcoder error on my Shield TV and WEB Player. I tried to reinstall few times and struggled with same issue like others, and finally this last 4 steps helped me. Which was quite odd even the docker version of Plex had a transcoder errors.
    Thanks guys!

Regardless of whether you run Plex in a docker, via the OMV plugin, or you install it by hand, the metadatabase directory must be located on a drive that is mounted exec capable.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I had same issue and solved it.

OMV version: 4.1.19-1

Source of the issue:
    Created shared folder to 'plexmediaserver' (Plex data).

Fixed by:
    Go to SMB/CIFS tab > Added those folders
    Go to Shared folders > ACL > Added relevant user permissions (plex user and plex group)

Than restarted the service by command:

Bash
    systemctl restart plexmediaserver

CPU: I7-2600k
    RAM: 8G-1333Mhz

STORAGE:

• 4TB External storage
    • 4TB Internal storage
    • 4TB Internal storage
    • 512GB SSD Temp coverter / cache / System backup

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!